Prologue

TEN YEARS AGO

     As the rain plopped down and spattered on the windshield, obscuring the road ahead, Evans’ knuckles whitened. The scene of Isla with that man on the dance floor still hung in his mind. He gripped the steering wheel so hard that his fingerbone cracked.

     He knew he should slow down. Overspeeding in the rain wasn’t safe, but he wanted to get home and drop off Isla. She looked out through the window, her head slumped against the pane. Shifting her eyes away from the icy rain, she said, “Are you still upset?”

     He cast her a look without paying attention to the pitch-black road ahead. “I can’t believe you let that jerk kiss you!”

     “Oh, come on, Evans. James is a college friend... and he was drunk. He didn’t kiss me like you’re insinuating. Our lips just—” She trailed away.

     He stared daggers at her. “See? You can’t justify what happened in there.” He huffed. “I’m so disappointed!”

     Still, Isla couldn’t understand Evans’ sudden fury when he saw her and James on the dance floor in the nightclub they just left. She’d been dancing solo while Evans sat at the bar drinking a cocktail. Out of nowhere, James appeared intoxicated with alcohol. She’d thought he wouldn’t make her out, but he mentioned her name and gripped her hand before she could shoo him away.

     Evans shouldn’t get angry. They were only business partners. If he was upset because James had stolen a kiss from her, didn’t it mean that he was jealous? That was the sign she’d been waiting for. She could finally tell him her feelings for him, although it took a silly spark between her and her college friend to trigger this moment. Deep down she was glad it happened.

     Isla tucked strands of her dark brown hair behind her ears. “There’s something I need to tell you.”

     He tightened his fingers around the wheel and said between gritted teeth, “Not now, Isla.”

     A figure emerged from the darkness, darting across the street.

      “Watch out!” Isla shouted.

     Evans went pale. Frantically, he slammed on the brakes to no avail. The car collided with the person. A sickening thud echoed as the impact sent the person flying over the windshield and falling on the wet road.

     He stumbled out of the car and hurried over to the figure lying motionless on the pavement in a puddle of blood. He checked for a pulse but found none.

     Isla stepped out and skittered to the section where Evans stood. A gust of cold wind with freezing rain hit her face. She inhaled and dipped her fingers into her clothes.

     They shared a tense look. He murmured, “He’s dead,” and ran a hand through his hair, his lips quivering.

     Walking back, he slipped into the car and then rolled up the windows. Isla retraced her steps to the passenger seat.

     A dead silence ensued for a couple of minutes. Isla shuddered as the image of the dead man flashed in her mind. “What are we going to do?” she asked, her voice cracking on the words.

     Evans heaved a sigh. “I don’t know. We can’t leave him there.”

     “Then we have to call the cops,” Isla said, bringing out her phone from her pocket.

     Evans nodded, then he mumbled, “Let me make the call. I did this.”

     “What will you tell them?”

     He shrugged. “I don’t know... I’d have to tell them the truth. It was an accident.”

     “You’ll still be charged anyway. You can’t go to prison. It’ll ruin our business.”

     “I know, but what choice have I got? If we run and leave the body for the cops, they might track it back to us... and that’s worse. I’ll look guilty.”

     Isla hesitated, then said, “I’ll take the blame.”

      Evans’ brows arched. “No way, Isla! I can’t let you do that. Do you realize what you’re saying?”

      “It’s going to work. There’s no one around. I’ll tell them I was driving. It was dark... and I didn’t see him.”

     “No. I’m not letting you take my blame.”

      “I already have, Evans. I can’t operate the business with you locked up in prison.” She stared into his eyes and slowly went for his hand. “I love you too much, Evans, and you’ve got so much to offer.”

     He patted her hand. “I still think it’s a mistake, Isla. I can’t just let—”

     “You aren’t,” She cut him off and quickly punched in the emergency number.

     “What if the cops don’t believe our story? There’s still time. I’ll tell them the truth.” He touched her face. “So you don’t have to.”

     “Just promise me one thing. You always be there for me.”

     He smiled at her. “You know I always will.”

     The operation’s voice came through the line. “911, what’s your emergency?”