Chapter 15

I S L A

     I PROMISED MYSELF days ago I wasn’t going to come to this place again, but this isn’t the first time I’ve broken a promise to myself, so I will not make a big deal out of it. By now she has seen what I have done. Maybe I will regret it in the future. Right now all I feel is satisfaction for ruining her wedding dress. She deserves worse than that. Ruining her gown is just the tip of the iceberg. She has no idea what’s coming.

     Sitting across from Fenella, I try to focus on why I am here. I still can’t believe I want to do this, but I have to. Destroying her wedding gown isn’t going to stop them from getting married. I have to be here. The wedding is in a week. Rosina must disappear within this week. When I finally have her, I will give her two options to show her I can be merciful—either she leaves Evans and disappears, or I do my worst to her if she doesn’t.

     Fenella looks slim. I wonder if she skips her meals. Well, I can’t blame her if she does. The food they serve in this place isn’t appealing, but what choice do they have? When I was here, I used to skip meals because I knew they would bring me food, but Fenella has nobody I know of who visits her. Her boyfriend is a notorious criminal who has been on the police’s radar for a while now. He can’t afford to come to this place. She has no other relative that I know of too. Poor Fenella!

     I don’t know the crime she committed that led her here. She never talks about it. I guess she doesn’t feel comfortable talking about it. As I push the shopping bag I brought forward, my eyes can’t stop looking at her. She’s suffering here, no doubt. Her dark hair is shaggy and looks unkept. Her eyes are sunken and dull, as though she hasn’t slept in a million years.

     She stares at me as she takes the shopping bag and smiles. “Thanks. You look so much better. The world sure agrees with you.”

     I’m sorry I can’t say that about her. If I give her a positive compliment, it would be a lie, so I just smile back. “How are you?”

     She moistens her lips with her tongue. “The same. I can’t stand this place. It’s horrible.”

     Since she hasn’t told me her sentence, I have no idea when she’s getting out of here. I don’t know what to say to her, and I feel terrible.

     “You’ll soon get out. Trust me.”

     “I hope so,” she says.

     I lean forward and lower my voice, “I need your help.”

     Fenella scoffs. “That’s a joke, right? How can I help you when I’m stuck in this hellhole?” She looks disdainfully around the visiting room.

     “Remember you told me about your boyfriend?”

     “Yes. Nick. What about him?”

     “I need his help. I want him to do a job for me.”

     Her narrowed eyes trace my face. “Is it that bad?”

     “No, but it will be if I don’t talk to him,” I say.

     “What do you want him to do?”

     I look around me. No one is watching us. “Kidnap someone,” I whisper.

     She sighs. “Do you have a pen and paper?”

     “Yes.”

     I dig into my purse and bring out the items, sliding them toward her. She takes the pen and scribbles something on the paper. Then she looks up at me and gives me the paper.

     “Call him. Tell him I gave you his number. He charges a lot for his services, so mention my name.”

     I look at the number and stifle a smirk. “Thanks.”

     “Don’t mention it. Anything for a friend. If I may ask, who is bothering you?”

     I set the paper aside and glance at her. “Rosina,” I say, “Rosina Scott.”

     “Who’s she?” she inquires.

     “Evans’ wife-to-be.”

     I told her about Evans and our relationship when I was still an inmate here, so I expected the shock on her face.

     “But I thought you and Evans—”

     I stop her from completing that sentence. “I thought so too.”

     “What happened?”

     This question is getting bothersome now. I’m starting to hate talking about Evans. “Please don’t ask. I don’t want to talk about it.”

     She stares wistfully at me. “I’m sorry. I know you’re hurting.”

     “Don’t be. They’re not getting married. I’ll make sure of that.”

     “Just be careful. I’d hate for you to wind up here again.”

     “I won’t. Trust me.” I pick up my purse from the chair. “I have to go. I’m meeting a therapist. Today is our first day and I don’t want to be late.”

     “All right. Thanks for dropping by.”

     We engage in a short conversation, saying our goodbyes, and then I head out to the parking lot. My plan to get even with Evans and Rosina is perfect. I hope nothing ruins it.