Chapter 20

I S L A

     I love you, Isla. I’ve always been in love with you, but I didn’t know how to tell you.

     Parker’s confession rings in my head as I step out of the house and stand on the porch. I had a sleepless night yesterday. I thought of him all the time. I’m still in shock from the confession. Every time it plays in my head, I think it isn’t real, but I know it is. How can Parker fall in love with me?

     He knows my heart belongs to someone else. Even if Evans is rejecting me because of Rosina, he knows he is the only person I love. But then I understand him. You don’t choose who to fall in love with. The feeling just comes, and you either pursue or ignore it. I simply couldn’t have told him I had no feelings for him. That’s why I left abruptly yesterday. I’m meeting Fenella’s boyfriend to talk about Rosina’s kidnap, then I will head over to Dr. Flynn’s office.

     As I walk briskly to my car, I can’t stop pitying Parker. Poor man! I don’t think I will ever reciprocate his love. I haven’t opened my car when a black Lexus pulls up in my drive. The door flags open and Evans steps out wearing a blue suit with a white tie.

     What does he want this time?

     I huff, and then it occurs to me that Rosina has told him about the dress, and he is here to confront me as usual. I can’t stop seeing him as a stupid old man for being at Rosina’s beck and call.

     He stomps toward me. He’s angry, but who cares? There’s nothing he can do to me. I can simply deny ruining her stupid wedding dress. Sighing, I leave the door handle and move a distance away from my car.

     Evans stops in front of me, wearing a frown he thinks can intimidate me.

     “What do you want this time, Evans?”

     “Cut the crap!” he snaps. “I can’t believe you broke into Rosina’s house and ruined her dress. What were you thinking, Isla?”

     “What was I thinking?” I scoff. “I wasn’t thinking, and I’m glad I ruined her dress. My only regret is not doing it sooner.”

     “You’re crazy,” he retorts.

     “Yes. I am. And it’s because of you. You drove me crazy by replacing me with that gold digger after everything I did for you.”

     “I’m not in love with you anymore, Isla. Maybe that’s what’s making you do what you’re doing. My heart belongs to someone else, and you have to accept that. You’re only going to break your heart if you continue with this game of yours.

     “I’ve moved on with my life. Why can’t you do the same?”

     My heart sinks. The surrounding suddenly starts spinning around me, tilting frantically. My head hammers and a pang sears through my body. I’m sure he doesn’t mean it. He’s only saying this because he is angry. I know anger makes people say things they don’t mean.

     Tears glide down my cheeks. I wipe them with the back of my hand. “You can’t do this to me, Evans. I know you don’t mean it. Rosina is messing with your head. Can’t you see?”

     “No. I fell in love with her. She loves me just as much as I love her. It’s you who’s making things complicated. I know it’s hard for you to accept it, but I’m getting married to her. You need to move on without me.”

     He pauses and glances at me. “Maybe you and this James from the club could continue from where you left off.”

   I let that slide into the thin air. He wants to get rid of me, but he’s wrong.

     “It’s not fair, Evans! What you’re doing to me. You built my hopes up, and now that I’m out of prison, you want me to pretend as if nothing happened between us?”

     “I’m sorry if that’s what you felt.” He nears me, his face filled with volumes of emotion. “I still care about you, but I’m in love with someone else, and we’re getting married.”

     My handbag slips out of my wrist when I lift a hand and slap him across the face. “I hate you!” I shout. “You’re not going to get rid of me that easily. That—I promise you.”

     “I’m sorry, but there’s nothing you can do to stop the wedding. Goodbye, Isla.”

     He turns around and walks to his car. I watch as he gets in, starts the car, and pulls out, dust swirling as the tires screech loudly. When he’s gone, I near my car and lean against the door. I glance up. Uncle Sam is peering at me through the window from his room upstairs. We lock eyes. His lips curve into a sympathetic smile, and I smile back.

     Evans is wrong about one thing though. There’s something I can do to stop the wedding, and he isn’t going to see it coming till it comes.

* * *

     Nick is a tall stout man with brawny arms. From the look on his face, I can tell he’s been through shit in life, which explains why he chose this path. His hair is capped, but I still see the tousled stands peeping out. He’s fierce-looking, and the truth is that he scares me a lot. I wonder how Fenella is able to look at his face.

     We talked on the phone earlier and decided to rendezvous at Brown’s. At this time of the day, the place is quiet, but it’s a whole mood in the night. When he speaks, I get the impression he is the right man for this job.

     Dipping my hand into my bag, I pull out the photograph of Rosina I took days ago in her house. I sat in my car at my vantage point—a portion of the street close to the embankment that is hidden by tall trees. I always park my car there when I want to spy on her. I like the shade. It provides me with some form of darkness, and darkness breeds evil. As usual, she didn’t suspect anything. She’s always clueless.

     She was sitting on the window sill in her room wearing a tank top and blue jeans, unperturbed about the danger lurking around her. I took it purposely for this moment, so I made sure her face was visible. My Nikon camera never fails to deliver. I push the photo forward and tap on her slender face, narrowing down on her doe eyes—those features she used to seduce Evans. That gold-digger! If it weren’t for her, Evans and I would still be together!

     “This is her picture. I’ve written her home address behind it. She usually spends her mornings at Eddy’s café.”

     “I know Eddy’s.” He collects the picture and stares at the photo. “What do you want me to do with her once I’ve got her?”

     That I don’t know yet. I’m still considering it. “Call me when you have her.”

     “Sure.”

     I go into my bag again and bring out an envelope. Pushing it toward him, I say, “This is half of the payment. I will add the rest when you complete your job.”

     He nods and pockets the money, saying, “We will be in touch.” Then he’s gone before I can respond.

     I like people like him. They’re straight to the point and focused.

     Sitting back on the sofa, I tuck my hair behind my ears. If luck is on my side, Rosina won’t be a problem anymore. Evans thinks he has gotten rid of me. He has no idea what I have conspired against his bride-to-be.