Chapter 23

"Sam, come sit beside me," Aakash declared, drawing Sam closer by her waist. Adhi, holding Avyan, watched Sam's face with a stern glare, while she avoided his gaze and reluctantly complied. Keerthi eagerly claimed the driver's seat, thrilled at the prospect of finally driving after a long hiatus, eagerly anticipating the journey ahead and the cherished time she would spend with someone special.

Adhi gritted his teeth as he looked at them. Initially, he was fine when he saw Sam with Aakash on the first day, but over the past week, things had escalated. Since their argument, Sam had been avoiding his gaze and presence, even going as far as seeking her mother to retrieve Avyan whenever Adhi was around. Despite Adhi's attempts to console her, she refused to give him a chance, instead opting to spend most of her time with her friends, often going out late at night. One night, after returning from an outing at midnight, they had a heated argument that ultimately led to the end of their relationship. Adhi restrained himself from saying or doing anything that could worsen the situation, but his male ego began to gnaw at him. They started avoiding each other, both keenly aware of the other's actions.

"Okay, guys, come on," Keerthi shouted, pressing the horn button, causing Avyan to cry, while Aakash glared at Keerthi for her childish behaviour that had upset Avyan.

Adhi ruffled his hair, trying to compose himself as he paced back and forth, attempting to control his own emotions. However, with each passing second, Avyan's cries intensified, deeply affecting Sam, who watched with a heavy heart. She nudged Aakash, silently urging him to bring Avyan to her, her eyes never leaving Adhi, whose mere gaze felt like a dagger to her heart. The way she nudged Aakash only fueled Adhi's anger further.

Aakash approached to lift Avyan, but the child clung tightly to Adhi's shirt, crying harder, intensifying Adhi's anger towards Sam. Sam bit her lip, adjusted her hair, and avoided his gaze. The sound of Avyan's cries shattered her ego and dissolved the anger she held towards Adhi. She walked towards Aakash.

"Go and sit with your friend. I know how to take care of my son!" Adhi's words dripped with attitude as he stepped back, creating a gap between them, causing Sam immense hurt, though she concealed it well.

She approached them and stood in front of Adhi, her hand reaching out to lift Avyan from him. However, Adhi took two steps backwards, widening the distance between them, which pained Sam deeply, though she didn't let it show.

Ignoring Adhi's venomous words, Sam took two steps towards him. She tiptoed to match Avyan's level, then gently kissed his cheek. Avyan's cries instantly ceased, replaced by a contented grin.

Adhi held his breath as he watched Sam's face draw close, her scent making him gulp hard. The way her lips touched Avyan's face ignited a desire in him, but he managed to suppress it, instead glaring at her and fixing his mind to hurt her.

"I told you to go with your so-called friend, insisting that I know how to take care of my son!" Adhi's words pierced Sam's heart as he referred to Avyan as his own. Hurt, Sam remained silent, trailing behind him. She was weary of enduring his hurtful words, and now, she chose to walk away, leaving him behind. As Sam departed, Adhi felt a surge of hurt and anger. He believed she didn't care about Avyan. This thought consumed his mind.

"I just hate you, Sam," Adhi murmured, ruffling Avi's hair and giving a soft kiss to his cheek. After a few minutes, Avyan fell asleep on Adhi's chest. After that, Adhi made his way to Sam's home and handed Avyan to Sam's mom, instructing her to take care of him.

Upon his return, Adhi noticed the car parked a short distance away. His intense gaze could have ignited the car if he had stared any longer. Adhi observed how close he had been to Sam and how she seemed unfazed by his presence, as if she felt comfortable around him. On the other side, Sam was aware of the pair of eyes watching her and felt her body tense under his burning gaze. Nevertheless, she chose to act as Aakash had instructed. Sam leaned on Aakash's shoulder while he shared a funny joke, eliciting a slight smile from her.