Ch.36 Dream Effects

Chapter 36

It had been three long days since Meera last laid eyes on Eryx. He did not show up to the morning runs and Sven began to take his place in the afternoons. Meera was beginning to think Eryx was deliberately avoiding her. As she trained, her mind relentlessly picked away at the edges of her sanity, consumed by the need to see him and to confront him.

Meera needed answers—needed to know how long he had been aware of her secret and why he had chosen to keep her from getting caught. The uncertainty gnawed at her, driving her to distraction as she fumbled through training. Each missed encounter fueled Meera's frustration and deepened her longing to see him. She found herself constantly scanning the crowds, hoping to catch a glimpse of his familiar figure, but he remained frustratingly elusive.

On the fifth evening, Meera's resolve pushed her to cross the lines of proper behavior. With determination etched into her features, she marched to Eryx's room after dinner. Each step echoed in the quiet hallway, her anticipation building with every heartbeat.

Raising her hand, she knocked on the heavy wooden door, the sound resonating through the corridor. Holding her breath, Meera waited, her heart hammering inside her chest as she grappled with the uncertainty of what awaited her on the other side.

Should she start with her questions or should she begin by asking when he would take her to the waterfall again? Both matters had been pressing down on her mind, weighing heavily on her thoughts, and Eryx's prolonged absence only made them more unbearable.

"Your grace?"

Meera turned to face the maid bowing before her, breaking her from her internal deliberations.

"Prince Eryx is not here," the young girl informed her, her voice soft and hesitant.

"Is that what he asked you to tell me?" Meera questioned, suspicion lacing her words.

"No, your grace," the girl shook her head, her eyes wide with innocence. "He hasn't been here all week. He's been staying at the palace. His sister has fallen ill."

A pang of concern shot through Meera's heart. "Venna?"

The maid nodded solemnly. "Yes."

"What's wrong?" Meera's voice was filled with genuine concern, her worry evident in her furrowed brows. "Why hasn't anyone told me?"

"The council did not want to distract you from your training," the maid explained, her voice tinged with hesitation.

"A visit to the palace won't kill me," Meera said firmly, her resolve hardening. "Fetch me my cloak, please, and a lantern."

"It's past everyone's bedtime, your grace," the maid hesitated, concern etched into her features.

"Not a strong enough reason to stop," Meera insisted, her determination unwavering.

The maid did not know what to say as Meera hurried down the stairs to the foyer. She quickly retrieved Meera's cloak from her room and lit the glass lantern, preparing herself to accompany the princess across the great lawn to the palace.

"You don't have to come with me," Meera said gently, noticing the hesitation in the girl's eyes. "I know my way to the palace."

"I can't let you go on your own," the girl frowned.

With a small nod of gratitude, Meera took the lantern from her. "Put on your hood. It's windy outside. Are you wearing your snow shoes?"

"Yes," the maid nodded, following Meera's lead.