Ch.17 Ivory Tower

Chapter 17

Zeya stormed into the master cabin, her eyes ablaze with fury as she confronted Eryx about the shocking proposal he had made to Meera. "Are you out of your mind?" she shouted, the tension in the room palpable.

"If it makes you feel any better, she said no," Eryx calmly offered, sitting in a chair with an air of nonchalance that only seemed to infuriate Zeya further.

"Eryx..." Zeya tried to steady her breathing, her almond eyes shimmering with an energy that hinted at her struggle to maintain control. "What are you doing? Why would you propose to her? You know the rules. You of all people know the rules! You can't marry her!"

"What else am I supposed to do?" Eryx sighed. "She won't leave Azmeera. This was the only thing I could think of."

"She's an untrained girl," Zeya reminded him, her frustration evident. "And we have a ship full of Vorean trained soldiers. Not to mention two wolves. We can knock her out and sail to Voreios."

"That's kidnapping," Eryx retorted.

"Who cares?" Zeya shot back.

"Ozmen will," Eryx said, maintaining a level-headed demeanor. "I think he will care enough to come looking for her."

"I'll deal with him," Zeya declared, her anger unabated.

"And then what?" Eryx leaned back in his chair, his tone challenging. "What's next after we kidnap her and deal with her family? How do you plan on convincing her to trust us to teach her anything?"

"Not by marrying her!" Zeya slammed her hands down on the oak table before them. "Have you thought about Dawn? What will this do to her?"

"I'll speak to her in person when we go back," Eryx replied.

"You mean when you go back with your new wife!" Zeya sneered, her eyes narrowing. "That's how you will break the news to her? You bastard."

"Dawn is much smarter than you give her credit for, Zeya," Eryx countered. "She knows what my priorities and my duties are."

"Okay, fine. You'll convince Dawn. But what about the council?" Zeya challenged.

Eryx's jaw tensed, and Zeya caught the subtle change. Leaning across the table, she locked eyes with Eryx. "Oh, you haven't thought of that part, have you?" she mocked.

"Once I explain the situation," Eryx took a deep breath, "they will understand."

"They won't," Zeya shook her head. "Your father and the council will tear you to pieces if you do this."

"I've already written to my father," Eryx announced. "I've explained what I'm about to do."

"And you really think they will agree?" Zeya asked skeptically. "You really think they will overlook this disastrous catastrophe?"

"Get her married to someone else if it's that important!" Zeya suggested, her arms gesturing wildly in frustration. The idea hung in the air, unsettling the atmosphere in the cabin.

The muscles in Eryx's jaw flickered once again, a subtle sign of his irritation. He looked up through his dark lashes, and a storm brewed in his eyes.

"No," he responded firmly.

"Why not?" Zeya pressed, her voice echoing the urgency of her plea.

"Because she's my mate and my responsibility," Eryx stated firmly, a tightness constricting his chest. The weight of his duty, the years spent training to protect Meera, now manifested as a possessive need to safeguard her from anyone else.