Ch.41 Devour

Chapter 41

As the morning light seeped through the curtains, Eryx stirred from his slumber, blinking away the remnants of sleep.

"Meera?"

Meera's absence, beside him drew his attention, prompting him to sit up and scan the room. With a frown etching his features, Eryx rose from the bed and donned a loose shirt, his steps quickening as he made his way through the corridors of the orphanage. His heart thrummed with a mixture of concern and anticipation, his mind flooded with thoughts of where Meera might be.

"Meera?"

Turning a corner, he spotted her silhouette, surrounded by a group of children whose laughter echoed off the walls. Relief washed over him, softening the tension in his shoulders. Drawing closer, he watched Meera with a fond smile as she engaged with the youngsters, her warmth and gentleness evident in every gesture.

Eryx's steps slowed as he approached, not wanting to disrupt the scene before him. He leaned against the wall, content to simply observe his wife. The sight of Meera's joyous expression, illuminated by the glow of morning light, filled him with a sense of peace and gratitude.

"Someday," Tayleen's voice greeted Eryx as the old man came to stand beside him, his tone laced with a quiet wisdom born of years of observation. "She's going to make a wonderful mother."

Eryx's smile widened, his eyes never leaving Meera's form as she effortlessly scooped up one of the toddlers.

"I know," he replied softly, a swell of pride evident in his voice.

"I've heard many stories growing up," Tayleen continued, his gaze thoughtful. "About elementals and their wolves."

Eryx turned to regard the old man. "I'm sure you have," he acknowledged.

"Is it true?" The old man asked, his voice gentle yet probing. "Are you unable to have children with her?"

Eryx felt a pang of vulnerability, his smile faltering momentarily. He drew in a deep breath, the weight of his response settling heavily upon him.

"Yes," he admitted quietly. "It's true."

Tayleen's expression softened, a silent understanding passing between them. "You both have come to an understanding?" he inquired, his voice tinged with empathy.

"We have," Eryx affirmed with a decisive nod. "As long as we're together, we'll find a way to be a family. Who knows, maybe this is what the moon goddess truly wanted."

A tender smile graced Tayleen's lips as they watched Meera's interaction with the children, her gentle nature drawing them like moths to a flame.

"Maybe the moon goddess has heard their prayers," he murmured, his eyes alight with warmth and admiration for the scene unfolding before them.

"Maybe," Eryx said, taking a step forward and heading toward his wife.

Feeling him approche, Meera looked over her shoulder and smiled. Her eyes sparkpled and the radiant glow she gave off warmed Eryx's skin. He pulled her into his arm and kissed her cheek.

"Do I have a rival?" he quipped, his gaze flickering mischievously to where a small child clung to the fabric of Meera's dress above her heart.

Meera's smile widened, her eyes sparkling with affection as she playfully bit down on her bottom lip. Stepping back, she allowed the children to swarm between them, a playful barrier of tiny bodies.

"I don't know," she replied with a hint of jest, her voice laced with playful challenge. "Can you take on an entire army for me?"

Eryx chuckled, his laughter mingling with the joyous symphony of children's voices. With a determined gleam in her eye, Meera scooped up the little boy on her hips, securing him with practiced ease before darting away, her dress billowing behind her like a flag of playful defiance.