Ch.38 Flower

Chapter 38

The evening's celebration for the king's grand birthday was a spectacle of grandeur and extravagance that engulfed the palace grounds in an aura of festivity. Guests, adorned in their finest attire, streamed into the palace gates, their laughter and chatter filling the air. Servants bustled about, ensuring every detail was perfect for the occasion, from the lavish decorations adorning the halls to the feast laid out on long banquet tables.

In the grand ballroom, musicians played melodic tunes on ornate instruments, their music mingling with the sound of lively conversation and the clinking of glasses. Noble lords and ladies danced gracefully across the polished marble floor, their movements a mesmerizing display of elegance and grace.

As Meera stood with Venna amidst the celebration, all eyes turned toward them. The guests paused in their conversations and turned their attention to Meera, their gazes curious and expectant as they eyed the silver falcon she wore above her heart.

"Thank you for wearing the pin," Venna whispered softly, her words carrying a tender sincerity. "It'll surely bring Eryx great joy."

Meera turned her gaze towards the elegant girl beside her, a hint of admiration in her eyes. "You truly treasure his happiness, don't you?"

"Absolutely," Venna chuckled lightly, her affection for Eryx was evident in her demeanor.

"He's fortunate to have you by his side," Meera remarked warmly.

Venna's smile blossomed with warmth at Meera's words.

"Indeed, we are both blessed," she murmured, intertwining her arm with Meera's as they gracefully glided toward the dessert table. "You've been very quiet this evening. And your eyes are wandering."

"I just can't believe it," Meera shook her head. "Your parents decided to go forth with the celebrations despite Eryx's condition."

"All the preparations had been made."

"He was stabbed, Venna," Meera's frown deepened. "And it was agonizing. I felt it."

Venna's eyes softened as she listened to the princess. She stepped closer to Meera and rubbed her hand down her back.

"It's for the best," Venna said. "All the hard work the palace put in would have gone to waste. And besides, I'm sure Eryx would not have liked all that attention on him either. He's very private about his matters."

"Have you seen him?" Meera's heart began to beat a bit faster. As memories from the afternoon flooded her mind, she felt a jolt of sparks run up her spine and warm the air in her lungs.

"No, not yet," Venna shook her head. "But he should be around."

Meera shifted her weight as her gaze wandered across the expanse of the opulent ballroom. All around her guests mingled, dressed in their finest silks and jewels. She heard the rise and fall of their voices but could not make out any words. Her mind repeatedly returned to the memories of the afternoon as the back of her neck began to warm.

Suddenly, her breath hitched in her throat as her eyes fell upon Eryx, who stood at the far end of the room.

Meera felt all the air in her lungs vanish as her belly clenched and her heart fluttered. Eryx was a vision of captivating allure, his dark locks impeccably styled and his tailored suit sculpting his frame with precision. Bathed in the soft, ethereal glow of candlelight, he seemed almost otherworldly, casting an irresistible spell upon all who beheld him. His eyes, like molten silver, gleamed with a magnetic charm that ensnared Meera's attention, drawing her inexorably toward him.