Ch. 15 She's Water

Chapter 15 

"Meera...."

Amidst the murmur of running water, Eryx's voice reached Meera's consciousness, laden with concern and worry. She strained to locate the source of his words, wanting to turn her head in his direction, yet all she could perceive was the gentle, soothing sound of the flowing water.

Eryx's strong, warm hand wrapped around hers, offering a comforting touch. A faint spark danced through their touch, a lifeline in her unconscious state. As she drifted in the liminal realm, Meera became attuned to the rhythmic sensations of his touch—circles traced on her palm, a gesture both tender and protective.

"You should mark her," said a voice. Meera strained her hearing and recognized Zeya's words.

"No, not like this," Eryx countered, his voice resolute.

"What does it matter?" The urgency in Zeya's frustration came through. "They're just stupid ceremonies. Look at her, Eryx. She might not make it if you don't mark her."

"Not like this," Eryx reiterated, his tone stern and unwavering.

"She drank enough venomfire to kill a small village," Zeya emphasized the severity of Meera's condition, reminding him. "It's a miracle she's even breathing."

"It's the water."

As Eryx mentioned the water, Meera sensed the liquid around her hands, feeling its warmth soaking into her skin as he continued to offer his comforting touch.

"How did you know that would help?" Zeya asked.

"Water will never betray her," Eryx said. "She's an elemental."

"How long do you think she will be like this?" Zeya's softer, more empathetic tone queried,

"I don't know," Eryx admitted.

A stretch of silence ensued, interrupted only by Zeya's exasperated sigh. Meera heard her rising to her feet before a sudden, sharp sound and a door opening and slamming shut punctuated the scene, leaving her once again surrounded by the gentle murmur of water and Eryx's calming touch.

"Come on, princess," Eryx whispered. "You're starting to make me worry."

Meera struggled against the weight of unconsciousness, the allure of Eryx's concerned voice pulling her back from the depths of her comatose state. With great effort, she attempted to open her eyes, her eyelids feeling like burdens resisting her will. The desire to turn her head, to acknowledge Eryx's presence and perhaps seek his comfort, filled her senses.

Her body, burdened by an overwhelming ache, resisted her attempts to sit up. The strands of her hair clung uncomfortably to the back of her neck, a sensation that intensified her longing for a simple gesture—Eryx's touch, gentle and reassuring. Even in the dreamlike haze of her unconsciousness, she felt the warmth radiating from him, a comforting presence that seemed to be an electric current pulsing through her dormant body.

However, despite her efforts, the tug of weariness proved relentless. Like a relentless undertow, it drew her back into the embrace of unconsciousness, slipping away from the tangible connection she yearned to establish.

As Meera drifted deeper into the recesses of her unconscious mind, a serene dream began to unfold, offering a stark contrast to the challenges and turmoil she faced in the waking world. In this dreamscape, she found herself in the midst of snowy mountain tops and winding paths, the pristine white landscape stretching infinitely before her.

By her side, a magnificent silver wolf paced gracefully, its fur shimmering in the moonlight like liquid mercury. As Meera trod through the snow, leaving delicate footprints in her wake, the wolf mirrored her every step, a steadfast companion in this ethereal realm. The two moved in unison, connected by an unspoken understanding that transcended the boundaries between human and beast.