Ch.1 Red Sail

Chapter 1: Red Sail

"I saw it with my own eyes!"

Bou, Azmeera's notorious fisherman who never could catch enough to feed his family, shouted as loud as he could. The children surrounding him all gasped and hung on his every word.

"Wolves," Bou said. "As big as bears! With teeth as sharp as my knives."

"What did you do?" One of the kids asked.

"What could I do?" Bou puffed up his chest. "I picked up my fishing rod and waved it around. Scared the beast real good."

"Bou," Meera, who had been observing from the edge of the road, couldn't help but intervene. Her voice, like the soothing lullaby of the ocean, cut through the excitement. "Stop scaring the children with your tales."

"Princess Meera," Bou, ever respectful of his princess, lowered his head in acknowledgment. "I tell no lies."

"I'm sure you don't, Bou," Meera laughed, lifting the cloth off her blanket and pulling out the plate of bread and meat she was carrying. "I hope you weren't drunk when you came face to face with this beast."

"Not a lick of liquor in my body, Princess," Bou said.

"Good," Meera smiled. "Let's keep it that way. Here, give this to your wife."

"You're too kind, your grace," Bou said as he graciously accepted the plate of food.

"Will you be joining the rest of the group for today's trip?" Meera asked.

"N-no, princess," Bou shook his head. "My wife and I are planning on taking a trip to visit her parents."

"Very well," Meera nodded. "Go on home then. And leave the children alone. Your stories of the beast have caused enough trouble."

"Thank you," Bou bowed his head once more and backed away.

Meera watched the skinny man scurry off with his head down and hands clutching the plate of food as if someone might try to snatch it from him.

"What do you have for us, Princess?" One of the little boys who was listening to Bou's stories turned to face Meera.

"Just some grapes and apples today," Meera said. She held out her basket and let the children each grab whatever they wanted. "Come tomorrow to the temple and we'll have more food for you."

"Will you have sweets?" The little boy asked. "I miss the candy apples."

"I'll see what I can do abo-"

Before Meera could finish, all the birds at the city square took flight as the temple bell rang out. The towns folk going about their daily routines in the bustling market square suddenly froze in their tracks, their expressions a mosaic of confusion and apprehension. The clang of the temple bell, which had stood silent for so long, shattered the tranquility of the moment.

As the resonant notes of the temple bell ripped through the air, its twin above the market square joined in, creating a symphony of sound that seemed to suspend time itself. Meera's heart quickened, worry gnawing at her like a relentless tide.

Then, a voice pierced the collective anxiety.

"We won!" someone shouted, their voice cracking with emotion. "We won! We won the war!"

All at once, a murmur swept over the market. Like a bee hive coming to life, everyone began to talk at once as one of the soldiers came running through the street waving Azmeera's flag and shouting at the top of his lungs.