Ch.5 Promiscuius

Chapter 5 Promiscuous

The temples of Meera's head were wound taut, as if delicate rubber bands stretched to their limits. She feared any sudden movement would snap them off and leave her in excruciating pain. With utmost care, Meera kept her eyes tightly closed, as though shielding herself from the harsh intrusion of light that threatened to pierce through the fragile cocoon of her discomfort. She drew her knees to her chest with a meticulous slowness. The effort to find a position which did not cause her pain was a battle she wasn't winning.

"Meera?" Marcella whispered.

Meera, feeling as though she were emerging from the depths of a fevered dream, reluctantly opened her parched lips, turning her face towards the source of the comforting sound.

"Marcella..." Meera's whisper, fragile and laden with weariness. The mere act of vocalization felt like an exertion, as if words themselves were bricks she had to carry up and down the steps.

"I'm right here," Marcella tenderly clasped Meera's hand. The warmth and solidity of her cousin's presence offered a grounding anchor amidst the disorienting fog that clung to Meera's senses. "Are you alright? Do you need anything?"

Summoning all the strength that she had, Meera cautiously opened her eyes. The intrusion of bright sunlight, streaming through the balcony, became an immediate assault on her sensitive eyes. A dull throb pulsed in her head in protest. With a low groan, Meera turned away, shielding her eyes, and propped herself up on her elbow.

"Easy," Marcella's soothing hand traced gentle circles on Meera's back. "Here. Have some water."

Meera extended her trembling hand, fingers quivering with the aftermath of weakness. The cool copper cup felt wet and heavy in her grasp. Bringing it to her lips, Meera drank with a thirst that seemed insatiable. The crisp, revitalizing liquid cascaded down her parched throat, filling the emptiness within her. Each sip felt like a restorative elixir, breathing life into her depleted form.

With the last drop, Meera lowered the cup. The room, once blurred by the fog of weakness, began to regain its clarity. Meera blinked several times as the tall figure at the foot of her bed turned towards her.

At once, Meera's heart froze. Memories from the night before came pouring back into her mind the same way the cool water had rivered down her throat. Meera gripped the sheets over her body and pulled them closer.

"Eryx?" She questioned, her voice cracking.

"No," Henry answered.

Meera raised her hand and touched her throbbing temples. Her pounding heart was at war against the throbbing pain in her head. She began to feel nauseous as Henry's face became more visible before her.

"Henry..." Meera whispered.

Henry did not speak. He stared at Meera, standing like a solemn sentinel with his hands behind his back. His usual charming smile was nowhere to be seen. His eyes were hooded, and his beautiful sun-kissed blond hair was pushed out of his face.

Meera parted her lips once again, "What...what happened?"

Henry's eyes narrowed and his jaw clenched. He did not utter a word as he stood peering at Meera with an unreadable expression on his face. His silence spoke volumes, a storm of emotions swirling behind those hooded eyes.

The room echoed with a stifling silence. In an abrupt motion, fueled by an unseen surge of emotion, Henry turned away and walked out of the room.

"Henry!" Meera called after him.