chapter twenty-one.

chapter twenty-one  /  dirty rotten scoundrels❛ where did my baby go?  ❜

where did my baby go?

"Killian?" Eulalie's voice constricted into a sob as she cupped her late fiance's cheek

"Killian?" Eulalie's voice constricted into a sob as she cupped her late fiance's cheek. Tears streamed down her face. He was so cold. "Killian, please wake up," she begged the cold shell of once was so magnificent.

Eulalie turned around slowly. Tears that had once dared to grace her flushed cheeks dried quickly. She raked her eyes up to Kaz with a look that could only spell vengeance, and if hell were real, it would have frozen over. Kaz's jaw worked as he watched her attempt to pick up all the fragmented pieces of her heart that lay deathly cold on the stone floor. He braced himself for her fury.

But Eulalie said nothing to him and faced Killian's corpse again. Her shoulders shuddered as she staggered toward him. Kaz waited by the door in anticipation of her running at him in full force. He knew exactly what was racing through her mind. Kaz was the one who had done this. He could let her believe this. Kaz should pay for what he did. This was understandable if he had actually murdered Killian. If he wanted Killian dead, he would have done it a month ago. As much as Kaz didn't care for Killian by any means, he didn't want the man dead, just out of his way.

Eulalie hoisted Killian's cold, limp arm over her shoulder and struggled underneath the dead weight. She stumbled, almost losing him. Kaz stepped into the lighthouse and over to the other side of Eulalie and Killian. He lifted the dead man's other arm. Silently, Kaz and Eulalie dragged Killian's body up the hill and toward the manor.

They laid the corpse on the marble floor of the open hallway. Stone pillars emanated hazy shadows on the wall between them and the ballroom, which had been full of life not a day before. Now, everything was stiff and leaden, like the house lamented another life taken.

Eulalie knelt next to Killian and moved a golden strand of hair out of his face. Milk-white eyes that replaced blue ones stared back at her from sunken sockets. Eulalie knew he couldn't actually see her, but those eyes seemed to plead for release. She let out a soft sob and covered her mouth with her hand.

Kaz wasn't sure what to do. Though it made his leg scream at him, he knelt on the other side of the body and felt for a pulse, a cursory gesture. Killian was really dead.