chapter twenty-two.

chapter twenty-two / dirty rotten scoundrels❛ can't remember what i used to fight for  ❜

can't remember what i used to fight for

chapter twenty-two / dirty rotten scoundrels❛ can't remember what i used to fight for  ❜

Her bedroom was hot.

Eulalie lay next to Cecily, unable to sleep. The sheets stuck to her legs, twisting and pulling. She tried to flatten them with her foot, but it only tangled them more.

How much do we really even know about Kaz?

Cecily's voice welled up, and she repeated the question over and over again until each word ceased to have meaning, leaving only a jumbled echo of consonants ringing in my mind.

It didn't make any sense.

It couldn't.

But Cecily had been right.

Eulalie bunched the pillow up beneath her, trying to get more comfortable, but it only served to agitate her further. She slammed her fist into the downy softness, wishing she could pummel her thoughts into such submission.

"He wasn't even near the lighthouse when Killian fell," Eulalie reminded herself silently.

He's a liar and thief. He does it professionally.

Eulalie shook her head, longing to silence the little voice. Kas had no real motive to kill Killian, and he'd been with Inej and Jesper that morning. It couldn't be him.

What about Maeve?

Eulalie took a sharp breath, remembering their first encounter. Nobody outside of the Wandering Isle knew much about the Downings. But Kaz had known Maeve's name. He had known most of her sisters' names.

There was no way the news of Maeve's disappearance had spread all the way to Kerch. So how, then?

With a hiss of frustration, Eulalie flipped over. Moonlight cast the room into stark highlights and shadows. Catching sight of the garden and the lighthouse, Eulalie turned over, facing Cecily.

Her eyes were open, staring at Eulalie.

"You're awake," Cecily said needlessly.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't sleep. Did I wake you?" Eulalie replied softly.