chapter nine.

chapter nine   /   dirty rotten scoundrels❛ if it's all in my head, tell me now

chapter nine / dirty rotten scoundrels
if it's all in my head, tell me now.

Eulalie trudged up the staircase leading to the Hall of Mirrors, exhausted from lack of sleep and traveling back home from Ketterdam

Eulalie trudged up the staircase leading to the Hall of Mirrors, exhausted from lack of sleep and traveling back home from Ketterdam. She planned to drop off her new dresses in her bedroom before searching for Kaz and his Crows. She needed to make sure nothing had gone awry while she was distracted, but as she continued down the corridor, Eulalie spotted steam billowing from the bathroom. It smelled of wisteria and honeysuckle, a scent so distinct it made Eulalie pause as memories of Fiona flooded back to her mind. Fiona had a special blend of soap made in Istamere just for her. Eulalie hadn't smelled it since her sister's body was found. One of the twins must have found the bottle and decided to try it.

Sure enough, wet footprints stained the carpet runner leading toward their rooms. With a sigh, Eulalie followed them past Iris and Brigid's rooms. The footprints came to a stop at Pollyanna's door. Eulalie pursed her lips and leaned against the doorframe, crossing her arms. Pollyanna sat peacefully on her window seat with her sketchbook and pencils.

"You're lucky I caught you and not Papa," Eulalie said, feeling a little guilty for startling her sister.

Pollyanna lowered her book, looking toward the doorway. "What do you mean?"

"You didn't towel off properly and left a watery mess down the corridor. You know how much that carpet runner means to Papa," Eulalie replied with a sigh.

Michael and Nadine had bought it by accident during their honeymoon in Novyi Zem. Michael had recanted the story, saying that he'd turned his back for a moment, and the merchant had pounced, showing off his colorful hand-knitted wares. Nadine had wanted to buy a small one for her sitting room, but her Zemini was so bad that when the rug arrived at Hiraeth, it was fifty feet long.

"I take baths at night. I've been in my room all afternoon. See?" Pollyanna showed her dry hands covered in black and gray smears from the charcoal.

"Who was it, then? Iris or Brigid? The bathroom is still steaming," Eulalie questioned further.