chapter thirty-two.

chapter thirty-two / dirty rotten scoundrels❛ but what about your quiet treason? ❜

but what about your quiet treason?

Kaz sat in his office in the Crow Club, ruminating as he played with a pen, making it disappear and then reappear

Kaz sat in his office in the Crow Club, ruminating as he played with a pen, making it disappear and then reappear. He'd given Eulalie a place to stay in the Slat on the top floor, high away from anything that could harm her. She had stayed up there for days, refusing food or company from any of the Crows. Kaz would be the last person she'd want to speak to, so he often sent Jesper or Nina to distract her and bring her meals from the club. She was inconsolable since she arrived at Ketterdam.

It was almost silent, the window behind him creaking open. Like it usually did, and likely from Eulalie's grief, it was raining outside. The sound of droplets hitting the cobblestone streets, lulled the city into the night. The wind seemed to carry the sound of a woman humming. Or maybe it was only in his head. Perhaps it was a lullaby or a funerary hymn. Kaz had come to learn that it was just Eulalie reminding him that she existed.

"Hello, Inej," Kaz said quietly to the Suli girl standing behind him.

"Eulalie turns out to be more of a mystery than we thought," the Wraith cut right to the chase.

Kaz's eyebrows quirked up in intrigue. "Oh? How did you find this way out here?"

"Well, over in West Stave, people are talking as they do. Saying things like 'Brekker's got a new toy,' and other rumors about the Downings," Inej reported back.

"What rumors?"

"The Downings are a mafia family, Kaz. They make deals with humans purely out of malice," Inej explained, urgency shaking her voice.

"Is this true?" Kaz turned around to face the girl. Inej only nodded, and he scoffed at the notion. "What does this mean then? Eulalie's an evil fairy?"

"Not exactly. It means we may have started a war with the Downings and whatever other Unseelie fairies they've rounded up. They could be coming for us now or when we've forgotten about it," she said, shaking her head.

"Good thing I never forget anything."

TO BE CONTINUED

TO BE CONTINUED . . .