chapter nineteen.

chapter nineteen  /  dirty rotten scoundrels❛ in faith-forgotten land ❜

chapter nineteen / dirty rotten scoundrels
in faith-forgotten land

The burning crypt certainly proved to be an effective distraction, the smoke wafting through the cold, nighttime air and weaving scorching tendrils into everyone's throats and lungs

The burning crypt certainly proved to be an effective distraction, the smoke wafting through the cold, nighttime air and weaving scorching tendrils into everyone's throats and lungs. With guests and the Downing family bewildered and distressed by the fire, Kaz had found it much too easy to sneak back into the manor. Sneaking—more like casually strolling. Where the safe had been moved, he hadn't the faintest idea.

Kaz tried to move as swiftly and as quietly as he could. The sound of his cane colliding with the floor seemed to pierce the air like a cannonball, reverberating off the ivory and gold walls. And if he was completely honest, Kaz didn't know what he was looking for. A niche in a wall that led to a secret room, perhaps. Hiraeth showed its archaism through the haunting creaks as the house shifted and the uneven stone walls and floors. Kaz found himself double-stepping in some areas of the manor because of it.

Turning a corner, he was met with a hallway of windows that looked out onto the chaos ensuing below. Kaz couldn't help stopping to watch and revel in it. The brightness of the fire washed out the color surrounding the crypt. There were so many people in attendance; it astonished Kaz. What an operation this would have been. Through the shouts and cries of the crowd, Eulalie's voice carried over it. She'd abandoned her shoes, most likely leaving them in the garden. She avoided her father, diving into the current of bodies.

So many bodies.

For a moment, Kaz lost sight of Eulalie. There was no glittery lavender dress or any sign of life until she and Pollyanna emerged on the other side. Eulalie didn't let go of her sister until she was sure Pollyanna would be safe in the foyer with the rest of the Downings. She didn't come out of the entrance until all of the guests were well down the cliffside and getting into boats and carriages to return to their homes.

Kaz turned away from the large window, and out of the corner of his eye, that glimmering streak of purple darted toward the fire. A prickle crept up his spine as Eulalie started barking orders to Cecily and Killian, who didn't seem upset about the engagement anymore. She seemed desperate. Castles were crumbling now, but not for Kaz. It was buying him more time.