23: Rumbling nights⚡

(Stolitz art by flxres on DeviantArt) 

Blitz's POV: 

     It was late one night, most likely around 3 in the morning. And I couldn't sleep. Why? Because it was fucking thunderstorming. And I absolutely hate thunderstorms. Regular rain is fine because it's calming and isn't loud as fuck. But thunderstorms are so loud and bright and they scare the shit out of me. 

I could tell Stolas I was scared shitless right now, but he was asleep facing away me. And I didn't want to wake him up. Besides if he knew I was afraid of thunderstorms, he would never let me live it down. Bright, flashing lightning lit up the room.

Every time the thunder started to rumble to almost complete silence, I counted the seconds in-between each strike, but the storm didn't show any signs of calming down. Rain slamming against the window panes making annoyingly loud noises that kept getting on my nerves. The lightning casting shadows across the room followed by thunder. The roaring winds making whistling sounds.

I groaned and turned to face Stolas but something seemed off. His breathing wasn't slow or at a normal pace. His chest was raising faster than normal and he was keeping a tight grip on the blankets. Another flash of lightning lit up the room once more at the same time as the thunder rumbled. I jumped out of my skin and took notice that Stolas did as well, his breathing was quiet but quick and short. 

I sat up and tried to get a look at him in the dark, but I couldn't see anything until lightning lit up the room once more. Allowing me to see his eyes squeezed shut with a trembling lip. 

"Stolas? Are you okay?" I asked and touched his shoulder. He eyes slowly opened revealing his beautiful red eyes, illuminating only the pillows and his own face. 

"Y-yeah, why wouldn't I be?" He asked before thunder crashed, roaring furiously as electrifying lightning zipped across the night sky, causing his eyes to squeeze shut again and myself to jump. 

"You're afraid of the storm?" I asked. His eyes blinked open and looked at me with small white pupils. 

"Yes." He said in a fearful voice. Lighting struck once again causing me to screw my eyes shut and jump. "Are you too?" He asked and turned to face me better. 

"No of course not, that one just caught me by surprise." I lied nervously. Stolas smiled weakly, his white pupils sticking out like a rose in a garden of weeds in the two infinite bloody red voids. 

"Right, and I gave birth to Octavia." Stolas rolled his eyes in disbelief. "It's okay if you're scared Blitzy, I don't mind." He said and smiled, a little less afraid. 

"I'm not scared." I said with my arms crossed and an obvious smile. "Besides, what's so scary about a little thunder and lightning?" 

"It's... really, really loud." Stolas answered and pulled the blanket to the bottom of his face as more thunder shook the palace. I let my arms fall to my side as I let myself lighten up a little, at least for Stolas's sake. So I moved over back to my original place on the bed but closer to Stolas and pulled him close. As soon as I did so he hugged his arms around me and relaxed his soft feathery head on top of my shoulder as I relaxed on my back. I could see the shade of red coming from his eyes fading and illuminating again, caused by his slow tired blinking. 

"I used to do this with Via." Stolas said in a hushed voice. 

"Yeah, she afraid of storms too?" I asked. 

"Not anymore, but she used to be terrified of them because of the shadows they'd make in her room. But as she got older she got less afraid, but I'd check on her in the morning just to be sure." Stolas said calmly, drawing imaginary circles on my exposed chest. 

"Loony's never really been one to be afraid of storms, but she's always had a big fear of needles, especially shots. Getting shots always took all day to get." I explained. 

"Mmhmm..." Stolas hummed half asleep as the tint of red, similar to my own skin color, started fading for longer periods of times. He readjusted himself so he was laying on his side and his head was tucked between my arm and chest, and his arms now snaked just above my waist. His hands caressed my ribcage as mine rubbed his soft, comforting feathers on his arm, his breathing slowed and his eyes shut. 

One last lightning strike followed by crashing thunder filled the almost peaceful silence we had for a while, other than the sounds of the rain getting softer. However that last lightning and thunder duo caused me to jump against Stolas, making him hug me closer to himself. 

"You're never going to admit you're afraid of the storm are you?" He asked. 

"Me? Afraid? Of the storm, never." I scoffed and started closing my own eyes as sleep started to take over. 

"Okay dear, whatever you say." He sighed tiredly as we both started to fall asleep with the sounds of gentle rain and far away away faint rumbling of slowed thunder.