Chapter Eighteen

Althea was outside with the kids and Clint, while Laura was making lunch

         Althea was outside with the kids and Clint, while Laura was making lunch. She would've stayed inside with Laura, but the woman felt like Althea had been stuck inside too much. She knew just how much Althea loved the outdoors, so she didn't want to make the girl feel like she had to always be inside.

          While outside, Clint was teaching Lila how to use a bow, Nathaniel was coloring in one of his favorite coloring books, and Althea was teaching Cooper self-defense. Clint and Laura had agreed that the children needed to eventually learn, and who better to teach them, than an ex-goddess who was considered almost a warrior. If she would've fought for Midgard, she definitely would've been a warrior.

"You've got to keep your fist and arm firm, otherwise someone will be able to push your arm away and easily block you from whatever your next move might be." Althea stated, as she grabbed his arm to show him what she was saying.

"Shouldn't I be blocking more than attacking?" Cooper asked, making the woman smirk.

"You can block all you want, but eventually you'll have to fight back. What I'm teaching you right now is how to fight back when the time comes. I'm showing you how to protect yourself, and anyone you care about." Althea replied, causing the boy to bite his lip.

"Do you think that I'll have to protect my family one day?" Cooper questioned, his voice low and full of worry.

"Sweetheart, as long as I am around, you will never have to be alone in protecting your family. I will keep them safe, and I will keep you safe." She said, making him frown.

"What about you?" He asked, sincerely concerned for his second mother.

"I'm rather stubborn and hard to defeat, if you haven't figured that out," She joked, trying to lighten the mood,"but if it came down to it, Daddy would protect me. He's an Avenger afterall."

"Can you show me how to do the leg sweep again?" Cooper asked, deciding to drop the subject.

        He knew that Althea was a strong girl, especially with her magic, but he didn't want anything to happen to her. She promised to protect him and the rest of their family, but she never really mentioned herself. If she was ever in danger, Cooper promised himself that he would protect her. He would not let anything happen to her, as she would do for him and everyone else they loved.

"This time we're checking for pointy rocks, last time I ended up with bruises on my butt from landing on pointy rocks." She replied, causing Cooper to laugh.

         The two searched the area for pointy rocks, and once they were sure that the area was clear, Althea showed him the motion for the leg sweep again. Cooper practiced the movement, before Althea slowly rushed at him, allowing him to take her down with a leg sweep. She knew an opponent wouldn't go easy on him, but he was only learning, so she didn't need to be full strength just yet.

         Clint looked over towards Althea and Cooper while Lila went to collect the arrows she had been using. A smile made its way to his face as he watched Cooper practice with his second mother. Cooper seemed to really feel close to the woman, and that made Laura and Clint very happy. Lila was close to Althea, too, but Cooper really felt like he had someone that understood him when it came to Althea. She was his favorite parent, but he'd never say that out loud.

"'Thea, how many hotdogs do you want?!" Laura called from the kitchen window.

"Two, please." Althea answered, as she stood from the ground and dusted the dirt and grass from her shorts and bare legs.

        Laura knew exactly what Althea ate on her hotdogs, considering it was the same things she ate on her burgers; cheese and ketchup. Althea hated mustard with a passion, so she refused to eating any mustard on her foods, unless the mustard was put in the food before it was cooked. Mustard was just too strong of a flavor for her to eat.

        The next few moments after Althea stood up was almost like a clip show. She started feeling a little weird, but she didn't know what was wrong. She tried to ignore the feeling, since she didn't want to worry anyone. For all she knew, it could've been because she was hungry. Sometimes when she was really hungry, she'd become a little lightheaded and tired, which was something that started happening once she became mortal.

         Althea was walking beside Cooper and headed towards Nathaniel when it happened. Althea watched as Nathaniel faded into dust, causing her eyes to go wide. She turned to Cooper, but he was fading when she turned to him. She opened her mouth to scream for Clint or Laura, but no sound came from her lips. She faded into dust as well before she could warn anyone that something was happening.

         Clint hadn't seen what happened. He had been turned away from everyone when they dusted. When he turned around and didn't see Lila, he was confused, but when he didn't see Cooper, Nathaniel, or Althea, he became frantic. Everyone wasn't outside where they were only seconds ago.

"Lila?! Cooper?! Nate?! Thea?!" He yelled, but not one voice answered back.

         He ran around the yard, but everywhere he looked came up empty. When he entered the house, nobody was in there. He called for Laura, but she was gone as well. In that moment, he knew something had happened that couldn't easily be explained. He didn't know what to do, but he had to get answers. The first person that came to mind was Natasha, she would know what was going on, or she would help him find out. He just needed answers as to why his family disappeared, and why he was now alone...