Chapter Fifteen

About a month later, Clint, Althea, and Laura began to discuss telling the kids

         About a month later, Clint, Althea, and Laura began to discuss telling the kids. Althea really cared about the kids, and at this point in the relationship, the three were pretty much positive that they were going to be together for a long time. The three knew that the children deserved the truth about what was going on.

       Only a few days ago, Althea had slipped up and said the three words to Clint and Laura. She had been sitting with them watching Carrie when she had sighed happily and muttered the words. The moment she had said them, she had tried to get up and run. She felt like she had screwed everything up, but Clint was quick to grab her. He wrapped his arms around her waist and held her between them. That night, Clint and Laura told her the same three words as well; I love you.

"Maybe we should wait until after dinner," Althea commented,"Like, make them something special and then tell them."

"Are you scared they'll be mad?" Laura asked, a look of worry on her face.

"Honestly?" Althea looked between the two,"Yeah. For all we know, they could hate me for getting into the relationship, knowing you two are married to each other. They could see me as being someone who could break up your marriage and their family." She rambled, feeling anxious and a bit terrified.

"It's not like that though, and they'll see that. They all ready see you as family, 'Thea, so once they find out that you're in love with us like we are you, they'll still love you as much as they do now, maybe even more." Clint said, making Althea's nervousness go away a bit.

"They love you like you're their second mom, 'Thea. They'll still love you after we tell them." Laura added, causing Althea's heart to skip a beat slightly.

"So, when should we tell them?" Althea asked, her voice kind of quiet.

"Let me make lunch, and once they sit down to eat, we'll tell them." Laura replied, and Althea nodded slightly.

        Althea was nervous the entire time Laura made lunch, but Clint stayed with her. The two stayed up in Althea's room, while Laura was downstairs, and the kids were watching cartoons. Clint held Althea in his arms, letting her feel reassured with his touch.

"Lunch!" Laura called up the stairs, and Althea felt herself tense slightly.

"It'll be all right." Clint murmured, as he squeezed her one last time.

           Clint and Althea headed down the stairs and to the living room where the others were sitting to eat. Everyone sat down and began to eat, and Althea was trying her best not to look nervous or anxious in front of the children. Kids were really good at picking up on emotions.

"Guys, we have something we want to tell you." Clint said, getting their attention.

        Nathaniel was only two, so he wouldn't understand very well. He'd probably just grow use to it, and see it as normal as he got older. He wouldn't really have any questions about it, and Laura and Clint believed that the boy would most likely give Althea a name eventually.

"You know how Mommy and Daddy are married, right?" Laura asked, and the kids nodded,"Well, what if I said that Althea was now a part of it as well?"

"Like a girlfriend?" Cooper asked, making Laura nod.

"Yeah, she's mine and Daddy's girlfriend." Laura replied, and Lila bit her lip.

"Will you marry her like you guys married?" Lila asked, causing the parents to sigh.

"Maybe." She answered, knowing that not many states allow people to marry more than one person at a time.

"Does that mean she'll be our mommy, too?" Cooper questioned, and Clint was the one to answer this time.

"She can always just be 'Thea, but if you want, she can be your other mom." Clint replied, and the two older kids looked over at Althea.

"Do you want to be our mommy, 'Thea?" Lila asked, making a small smile appear on Althea's face.

"I'll be whatever you want me to be." Althea said, and the kids smiled.

"So, are you guys okay with this?" Laura asked, causing the kids to nod quickly.

       Cooper and Lila quickly went to Althea and wrapped their arms around her. Not wanting to feel left out, Nathaniel ran over and wrapped his tiny arms around her, too. Althea held back happy tears, as she wrapped her arms around the three kids as best as she could. Clint and Laura smiled as well, and when Althea met their eyes, the two gave her a look as though to say "I told you so."

         For the rest of the day, Althea held a smile on her face. She had been so worried that the kids wouldn't want her to be around anymore, but it was the complete opposite of what she thought was going to happen. They were happy to have her around, and they seemed to be happy that she was going to be like a "second mom" to them.

         Althea didn't want to step into a place that wasn't meant for her. She didn't want to make the children feel uncomfortable, or have anything forced upon them, but they were the ones that welcomed her with the title. They wanted her to be a "second mom" to them, even if it would take some time.

        She would have to grow into the title, and she would have to get use to it. At this point, she wasn't quite use to the idea. She loved the children, yes, but being a mom completely wasn't something she thought she'd get willingly. To have these three children welcome her as a new parent made her heart happy though, and she was almost excited at the notion of learning to be a mother to them, instead of just a family friend...