Chapter Thirteen

The next day, Althea didn't feel like getting out of bed

      The next day, Althea didn't feel like getting out of bed. She missed her brothers, but she really missed her mother. To be honest, she pretty much blamed herself for her mother's death. If she had waited a few more days to fight with Odin, she would've been there to protect her mother. Her mother would've still been alive, if she wouldn't have been so selfish with her own thoughts and feelings.

       Her selfishness got her mother killed, at least, in her mind. She was even more upset at the news that Loki hadn't been able to save her either, because he was still locked in his cell. Even when there were enemies – threats — challenging Asgard, putting everyone in danger, Odin still wouldn't let Loki out of his cell. Loki could've used his magic to protect their mother. Also, with Loki stuck in the cell, Odin pretty much made the man a victim-in-waiting. He could've easily been targeted and killed because Odin was too much of a fool and a bigot to let Loki out in such a time of danger.

        Anyhow, Laura had left Althea alone for a while, knowing that the girl wanted a little time alone to deal with her feelings. She was devastated at the loss of her mother, and there was nothing anyone could do. There wasn't exactly a way for anyone to bring the older woman back from the dead. Even if there was, Althea wasn't strong enough to do it herself, and there was always consequences for anything that extreme.

"Mommy, where's 'Thea?" Lila asked, as they ate fruit for a mid-afternoon snack.

"She's in bed, baby," Laura replied,"She's not feeling well."

"What's wrong? Is she sick?" Cooper asked, making a small smile appear on the woman's face.

"No, she's feeling upset. Last night she found out that her mommy passed away." Laura answeted, knowing that Lila probably wouldn't completely understand.

"Passed away? What's that mean?" Lila asked, looking a little confused.

"Her mommy went to heaven," Clint said, as he entered the kitchen,"so she's a little sad today."

"Can we go see her?" Cooper asked,"Maybe she'll feel better if we go see her." He added, and his parents smiled.

"After you eat, you can go up to her room, but if she wants to be alone, you need to let her be, okay?" Laura replied, causing the children to nod.

        Lila and Cooper finished their food kind of fast, and once they were done, they went to the sink and washed their hands. When they went to head upstairs, Laura stopped them and told them to wait on Nathaniel to finish. He needed a nap, so if they stayed up there with Althea, he could nap with her. The brother and sister waited patiently, and once their mother had their little brother cleaned up, they lead him up the stairs by his hands. Cooper was the one to knock on the door, and slowly open it once he heard Althea's voice.

"Can we stay with you?" Cooper asked, biting his lip nervously.

"We want to make you feel better, 'cause you miss your mommy." Lila said, and a sad smile made its way on Althea's face.

       Althea gave them a nod, before the children went over to her bed. They helped Nathaniel on to the bed, then climbed on to the bed themselves. Nathaniel laid his head on her chest, and it wasn't long before his eyelids drooped, and he fell asleep. Cooper and Lila stayed quiet, as they laid in the bed and watched Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban with Althea. They didn't want to bother her, since they didn't know what could upset her, but they wanted to make her feel better, so laying with her was their only option.

         About a half an hour later, Clint and Laura decided to go and check on the kids and Althea. They didn't want Althea feeling like she had to have the kids in there with her, if she just wanted to be alone to grieve her mother. The parents would've understood, considering they knew grief wasn't always something a person would want to share with others — especially with children. Grief could put stress on a child, and that wasn't something anyone wanted.

        Laura was the first one up the stairs, followed by Clint hot on her heels. When they came upon Althea's room, they were a little surprised to hear how quiet it was, other than the sound of a movie playing through the TV. The two peeked into the room, and a smile made its way to their face. All four people in the room were sound asleep. All three children were cuddled close to Althea, and they looked really comfortable and peaceful. Laura used her phone to take a couple of pictures, before the couple headed back downstairs so they wouldn't wake anyone up.

"I think it was a good idea that they went up to check on her." Clint commented, and Laura nodded.

"They're probably more helpful for her healing than we would be," Laura replied,"A child's happiness and love can brighten anyone's day."

"She's good with them." Clint said, making Laura smile lightly.

"Out of anyone we could've fallen for, she was definitely the perfect one," Laura murmured,"even if she never wants children in the future, I know she'd be happy with ours."

"I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself," Clint jokingly said,"Adding more children is a big step in a relationship."

"I know," Laura nodded,"but I have a feeling that this will be forever."

       Clint simply hummed in agreement, as Laura placed her head against his chest. He had a similar feeling, but he didn't want to get ahead of himself. Too many things are unknown, and the future was never set in stone. He just hoped that Laura was right, and that this — what they had going — really was going to be forever...