29

(ishaan's dorm room)

The afternoon sun streamed through Ishaan's dorm window, casting a warm glow on the two friends sprawled on his beanbag chairs. Neel was hunched over his phone, a wide grin plastered across his face as he scrolled through messages.

"What's got you so happy, Neel?" Ishaan asked, playfully nudging him.

Neel glanced up, his cheeks flushing a light pink. "Oh, just some messages from Malang," he mumbled, quickly shoving the phone back in his pocket.

Ishaan's eyebrows shot up. "Malang, huh? Spill the details, lovebird!"

Neel choked on a laugh. "Lovebird? He's not my –" he stammered, the word "boyfriend" catching in his throat.

A mischievous glint appeared in Ishaan's eyes. "Not yet, maybe," he teased, dragging the word "yet" out for emphasis.

Neel's mind took a detour. He imagined Malang as his boyfriend, someone who cared for him deeply, someone who wouldn't let his overbearing sister, Netra, walk all over him. A soft smile played on his lips as he pictured them sharing stolen moments, whispers under the moonlight.

"He's... special, that's all," Neel finally managed, his voice barely above a whisper.

"Special, huh? Sounds perfect boyfriend material to me," Ishaan said, nudging him again. "So, when are you going to confess your undying love?"

Neel scoffed. "Confess? It's way too soon for that!"

"Too soon?" Ishaan countered, feigning shock. "Look, Neel, Malang's a great guy. Cute, funny, the whole package. And let's not forget, a little naive."

Neel furrowed his brow. "Naive?"

"Exactly! He'll fall for anyone who gives him a little attention, boy or girl. Trust me, you don't want to miss your shot." Ishaan winked. "Speaking of which, if Netra wasn't constantly breathing down your neck, I might just have taken a shot myself. He's that cute."

Neel's eyes narrowed playfully. "Alright, alright, I get it, Mr. Casanova! I'll confess my undying love soon, just to shut you up."

A grin spread across Ishaan's face. "That's the spirit! Just don't wait too long, or someone else might steal your Malang away." He leaned back in his chair, a satisfied smirk playing on his lips.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
(in college)

The last bell buzzed, signaling the end of the class. Malang quickly shoved his books into his backpack, his mind already focused on getting back to his dorm. Just as he was about to slip out of the classroom door, a familiar voice stopped him.

"Malang, wait!" It was Rihanna, her voice tinged with desperation.

Malang hesitated, his initial instinct to ignore her. He hadn't forgotten the humiliation of her drunken confession at the college party, the truth about how she'd only dated him as part of some cruel bet.

But Rihanna wouldn't be deterred. She hurried to his side, her eyes red-rimmed. "Malang, please. I need to talk to you."

Malang sighed, his shoulders slumping defeatedly. "What is it, Rihanna?" His voice was flat, devoid of any warmth.

"I... I'm so sorry," she stammered, tears welling up in her eyes. "For everything. For humiliating you, for breaking your heart."

Malang looked away, the memory of the party still raw. "An apology doesn't change what happened," he muttered, his voice barely a whisper.

"I know," she choked out, a sob catching in her throat. "But I wanted you to know I truly am sorry. I feel awful for how I treated you."

There was a long silence, broken only by the quiet shuffles of students leaving the classroom.