●17

●・○・●・○・●

''thanks for today, matt.'' florence grinned, carrying her bags to the guest room.

''i didn't realise you were going to buy so much stuff.'' he laughed, opening the door for her. 

''well, i did need everything.'' she emphasised.

even though florence would've been fine staying in matt's room, his mom had insisted she take the guest room, and she wasn't exactly going to argue about that. the room had fresh bedding, and it was evident that nobody had stayed in there for a long while.

''i guess that's true.''

''doesn't anybody stay in this room?'' she asked, sitting on the edge of the bed.

matt joined her. ''nah, but that's a good thing because it's your room now.''

she smiled lightly. ''thank you for letting me stay. seriously, i know i keep saying it but-''

''flora, stop.'' he interrupted. ''i like you staying here.''

''i'm glad.''

''are you?'' he replied. ''like...do you like being here?''

''yeah, of course.'' she frowned in confusion. ''what's up?''

''i just...'' he swallowed nervously. ''it's...''

''yeah?''

''you know what? forget about it.'' he said, standing up. ''i'll let you unpack your shit.''

matt was about to walk out of the room when florence gently grabbed his hand, making him turn back to her quickly. she stood up, but she didn't let go of his hand. instead, she squeezed it supportively and gave him a small smile.

''talk to me.''

''the comments on your instagram.'' he muttered. ''somebody said the idea of you dating me is...disgusting.''

''those people don't know us, matt.'' she said softly. ''if we were dating, it's nothing to do with them.''

''somebody else said your popularity was going down.'' he replied with a sigh. ''i don't want to be the reason-''

''matt.'' she said, cutting him off. ''if my popularity leaves because i'm hanging with you...let it.''

''but, flo-''

''i don't want popularity.'' she said. ''i want to be friends with you.''

matt hesitated. he usually didn't speak about his feelings, but there was something about florence. he just wanted to open up to her, to tell her exactly how he felt, but he just didn't know how. he realised she was still holding his hand, and he looked down at their hands intertwined. florence also noticed, and pulled away, embarrassed that she hadn't let go.

until he took it again.

''just friends?'' 

the tension in the room was suddenly suffocating. florence didn't even want to add the friends part, but she thought it sounded too...possessive without it. of course she didn't want to just be friends with matt. she wanted to kiss him, to trail his tattoos, to feel his fingers on her skin. 

''i...'' she whispered.

matt used his free hand to move her hair from her face, pushing it behind her ear. he looked at her for a few moments, wishing he had the confidence to lean in and kiss her. matt pretended to be a badass but he wasn't. he saw how innocent florence was, it was easy to make her blush, and he liked that. it helped him talk to her, but it wasn't enough for him to kiss her.