●8

●・○・●・○・●

''he's not doing it.''

''what?!'' chase's mouth dropped at his best friend's words. ''what do you mean?''

''he said no, chase.'' she replied. ''let it go.''

''so what the fuck are we going to do, floss?! what are you going to do when nobody shows up for the dinner?!''

''i said let it go.''

chase rolled his eyes but didn't bother to reply, knowing better than to challenge his friend when she was in one of her moods. 

florence hadn't meant to be so snappy, but she just couldn't help herself. truthfully, the nerves were eating her up. she couldn't stop thinking about her mom's face smug face when no boy turned up, or her dad's disappointed reaction for lying.

matt was being such a dick right now but, to be honest, when wasn't he? she thought the motorcycle situation would change his mind. instead, it just made him hate her even more.

she turned to chase. ''sorry. i'm just stressed.''

he nodded. ''look, i know us being married isn't ideal, but it's not the worse thing ever. don't beat yourself up because matt said no.''

she smiled lightly. ''thanks.''

''let me know how dinner goes.'' he replied when they reached their houses.

''i will. see you, chase.''

''later, flossie.''

--

florence dressed nicely for dinner, doing her make-up and styling her hair as if she really were expecting somebody to come to their house. she went downstairs, her heart sinking when she saw four spaces set instead of the usual three. she took her seat, not bothering to look at her parents.

the three of them sat in silence for a few moments, the only sound being somebody lifting their glass to drink, and then her mom cleared her throat.

''florence?''

she looked up. ''yes?'' 

''where is matt? he should have been here ten minute ago.''

''yeah, he uh...he's not coming.''

her mom raised an eyebrow. ''because he does not exist.''

''yes he does.'' she protested. ''it was just late notice and he had other commitments!''

''be honest, florence.'' her dad said softly. ''is matt real?''

''yes!''

''i'm calling sophie.'' her mom sighed, standing from the table. ''we have a wedding to plan.''

''you can't! he's dating megan and i'm...''

she trailed off when she thought she heard the familiar sound of a motorcycle. she thought maybe she was dreaming because it suddenly stopped. she waited for a few moments, disappointment just about to creep in, and then the front door knocked.

she rushed to it, pulling it open, and her mouth dropped when she saw matt sturniolo standing there. he was wearing a beanie, a white vest and grey sweatpants. he was clutching a bouquet of red roses, and he rolled his eyes at her.

''quit staring.'' he snaped. ''are you going to let me in?''

''you're here?'' she exhaled. ''why?''

''because cigarettes are expensive and i was promised cash.''