●4

●・○・●・○・●

matt watched the three girls climb into roxanne's car and drive away, lifting the cigarette to his lips thoughtfully. he hated florence but that didn't stop him from thinking about her even when they left the parking lot.

he saw the way she winced when he said her full name and he heard the way both gabriella and roxanne defended her. florence herself hadn't said anything, but it was pretty obvious she did not ever want to be called that.

matt threw the end of his cigarette onto the ground, a smirk appearing on his face. he wanted to ruin the girl, but he hadn't really known how. to be honest, he still didn't, but he knew she had a weakness. one that seemed so small, but he could see it was huge. 

he didn't know how he was going to use it against her - he just knew he was going to.

-

''just ignore him, flo.'' roxanne said, putting her car into gear and stepping on the gas. ''he just has a problem with everybody.''

''i'm not even bothered.'' florence shrugged. ''i'm more bothered about you speeding.''

''we have to be quick to get you back to school in time.'' she grinned but slightly eased on the gas. they drove for a few moments before she looked at gabriella. ''why are you so quiet?''

''i can't sit in peace?'' the brunette answered sarcastically.

''you're never quiet...so no.'' 

gabriella rolled her eyes. ''i'm pissed off with matt.''

''we all are.'' 

''i'm not.'' florence said.

gabriella turned to her. ''but he was so fucking rude to you.''

she shrugged, scoffing slightly. ''gabi, the entire school falls to their feet for me whilst they run away from matt. you actually think i care what he thinks?''

gabriella nodded slowly. ''i guess that's true.''

''he's nothing to us.'' she continued. ''stop worrying about him.''

roxanne laughed. ''flo always comes with the facts.''

gabriella nodded. ''you're right. thank you.''

florence gave her friends a small smile before turning to look out of the window, zoning out from their new conversation. she couldn't stop thinking about matt. maybe she should've been angry that he spoke to her badly, or maybe she should've been sad he didn't like her, but she really didn't care.

although everybody at school liked her, her homelife was very different and that meant florence was used to not being liked. she thought she deserved it, actually, and she spent a lot of time telling herself that her luck would run out one day and her friends would see her for the monster she truly was. 

it was obvious to her that matt didn't like her, but he didn't spend time tearing her down. he didn't tell her that the dress she was wearing made her look fat or that her hair made her face look chubby. he didn't make fun of her for getting a B in science and he didn't tell her how imperfect she was every single day.

that was her mom.

as long as matt didn't begin to do that, she didn't really care that he wasn't her fan.

-

florence arrived home from school, going to her bedroom and shutting the door behind her. she sighed heavily, dropping her bag to the ground and replacing her shoes with slippers. other people loved going home from school, getting a snack and going to their room. her friends loved to watch tv or listen to music, but florence didn't do any of that.