Harry's POV: Chapter 14

Harry glances up at Louis as he walks back into the room, except this time with 2 other people. Harry recognizes them as the 2 that were with him when Harry had seen him exiting the other office building the day before.

The taller one with light brown hair, and the slightly smaller one with dark hair. The taller one looked pissed.

And Louis is walking backwards, looking like he is trying to stop the man from coming in.

"I'm assuming this is Harry?" The taller one asks, and Harry stands up, brushing his hair out of his eyes, and steps up behind Louis.

"Yes?" Harry phrases it more like a question as he grips onto the back of Louis' shirt, nervous about where this is going. Louis' hand comes up to meet him, squeezing his fingers gently.

"My name is Liam, and this is my husband Zayn." The taller one, Liam, manages to say before Louis interrupts.

"They work for me. They are a part of my finance team." Louis says, and Liam just scoffs at him.

"When are you gonna stop lying to him, Louis?" Liam yells, throwing his hands up in the air, and Harry stiffens.

Lying? Louis was lying? About what?

"Lying about what?" Harry whispers, voicing his thoughts before he can let them get out of control, and he hears Louis sigh.

"His job." the dark haired one, Zayn, says. "He hasn't told you the truth, and he needs to, otherwise you're going to be in even more danger than you are right now."

Danger? Is Louis in danger? He's lying about his job?

Harry glances down, tightening his grip on the back of Louis' shirt. "Lou, what are they talking about?" Harry asks, and he watches as Louis' shoulders sink.

"Harry, I haven't been honest with you." Louis starts, not looking at Harry. "I don't run a finance firm."

"So, what is your job?" Harry asks, his hand dropping from Louis' shirt as he turns to face him.

"I...I run a mafia family called The Devil's Men." Louis says, and Harry freezes.

A mafia family? He's a mafia boss? Harry slowly backs up back to the couch and sinks down, staring at the floor, unable to pull his eyes away.

"You're...a mafia boss?" Harry asks, and Louis squats down in front of Harry, leaning against his legs so that he is directly in Harry's eyeline.

"Yes, and I'm sorry I lied to you luv, but please try to understand. I was just trying to keep you safe." Louis explains, but Harry is barely processing anything he's saying.

"How...how does not knowing keep me safe?" Harry asks, and Louis sighs, sitting down on the floor in front of Harry.

"The more you know, the more my enemies think you can be used. The more I tell you, the more of a target you become. I just, you're very special to me, and I wanted you to be safe. I didn't want to expose you to this part of my life." Louis explains, stumbling over his words a little, his hands running through his hair.

"Please try to understand, luv, I never wanted to lie to you, I was just doing what I thought would keep you safe." Harry still doesn't say anything, just stares at his hands in his lap.

"Luv?" Louis asks, but Harry doesn't look up. "Darling, please, what are you thinking?" Harry finally looks up at him.

"I'm upset that you didn't think you could be honest with me." Harry says, running a hand through his curls. "You know you can trust me right?" Harry asks, and Louis nods quickly.

"Of course Hazza, this wasn't about trusting you. Believe me I trust you completely. But I also care about you. A lot, and I can't bring myself to do something that would put you more in harm's way than you already are." Louis says, and Harry looks at him, confused.

"What do you mean, I'm already in harm's way?" Harry asks, and Louis sighs, looking down at the ground.

"If my enemies see us together, they might think that they can use you as a channel to get to me, and that puts you in a lot of danger. But, the more I tell you about how what I do works, the more they will want you, and the harder they will work to get you, and I can't put you in danger like that."

Harry can see the tears brimming in Louis' eyes, and he reaches down to hold Louis' hand in his own. "Lou, look at me, please?" Harry pleads, and Louis looks up, tears streaming down his face.

"I know that I'm safe with you. I trust you fully, and I care about you as well. That's why I don't want you to lie to me. Especially about something that puts your life in jeopardy. I just want you to be safe. And I want you to know that I'm here to stay no matter what." Harry says, and Louis nods.

Harry leans down and presses his forehead to Louis', cupping his face in his hands. "I know Hazza, but if I'm the reason you get hurt I'll never be able to forgive myself." Louis says, tears still falling down his cheeks.

"I will never blame you for that, Louis. Ever. The only thing you could ever do to hurt me would be leaving. Anything else we will figure out, ok?" Harry says, and Louis nods against his forehead.

Harry wraps his arms around Louis' neck, hugging him close, and Louis wraps his arms around Harry's torso. Harry hears as Liam and Zayn leave, and Louis tightens his arms around Harry.

"Luv, will you stay tonight?" Louis asks, the question only a whisper in his ear. "I just need to know that you're safe."

"Of course, Lou." Harry says, and he can feel as Louis' shoulders drop some of the tension.

"Come on, you can stay in my room, I can sleep out here." Louis says, and Harry has to hold himself back from instantly hating that idea. He would much rather sleep with Louis.