Chapter 43

"I am sorry." My head turns to meet Luca who sits beside me.

"What for?" I question. I know what I want him to be apologising for but I cant be sure it is actually that.

Luca and I walked silently through the field towards a large oak tree standing tall all on its own in the middle of the green field. Everything looks eerie and mysterious from the weather. The dark sky and fog all around make it all so... ominous but maybe that is just my imagination and to Luca, the atmosphere doesn't feel eerie or mysterious at all.

"For getting mad at you." He wraps a strand of my hair around his fingers, gently playing with it.

"That is ok, I know it is hard for you."

Luca frowns at me in confusion, waiting for me to explain. "I know that you have a lot of anger inside of you and I thank you for not taking it out on me often." I flash a small smile and look ahead of us at the rainfall all around. As soon as we got under the tree, our surroundings were completely taking over by water. Even though the tree doesn't stop us from getting wet completely, it sure does help.

For a reason I don't know, Luca doesn't reply to my comment. He just looks at the rain. It feels nice having water on my skin. access to a shower is becoming less and less frequent.

"Luca?"

"Hm?"

"Why don't we just go home? I don't expect you to make up with your dad but you can live with me."

He turns to look at me and for a split second, I think he is about to hit me until he speaks. "Go home? I don't have a home."

"You can."

"No." He shakes his head fast at me and laughs once. "I can't. You think your parents will let me live with you after I kidnapped you?"

"I will say you didn't do it. I will just say that I asked you to take me on a road trip and things got a little out of hand."

"Out of hand? I killed people, Emilia. They aren't just going to be fine with that and even if they did, as soon as I stepped foot back in that town I would be sent straight to prison. This isn't just a kidnapping, Emily."

"I- I know that." I sigh and look up at him. "But I am scared. I just want to go home."

"Scared? Scared of what? Of me?" Luca wonders.

"No! Just scared."

"I gave you the option to go home, Emily. You turned it down."

"I know that. I turned it down Because I don't want to go anywhere without you, Luca."

"You never have to." He whispers to me in a way that makes my heart ache with regret.

"I'm sorry." I hug him tightly and regret suggesting going home.

"It's alright." He kisses my forehead. "We will work something out, okay?"

"Okay."

....

The sun beams down on us, making it impossible to stay asleep. I slowly open my eyes and Luca seems to be waking up at the same time. We fell asleep in a sitting position against the tree which wasn't the best idea, considering how my body is aching.

The grass beneath us is wet and the tree above us drips water droplets onto our heads.

"Good morning." I smile at Luca.

"Morning." He groans tiredly at me.

"What're we going to do? Now that we don't have a car?" I ask. I try to sound as nonchalant as I can incase my question makes him mad again.

"Well, we will have to find another one."

"We will?" I frown.

"Yeah."

Luca stands up and stretches an arm out infront of me. Instantly, I grab it and use it to pull myself up from the wet grass.

Luca picks the bag of money from the floor and tosses it over his shoulder then walks hand in hand with me, further into the field. I can't see the end of the field and the worried feeling I get from not knowing what will be at the end, fills my body, almost enough to entirely weigh me down.

I want to speak but I don't, it feels too dangerous to do so. Luca is in an unstable state right now and I don't want to upset him. I know how mad he can get and what he can do with that anger, and right now it's the last thing I want. To be honest, I just want things to go back to how they were a couple of weeks ago when we hardly had any problems.

"Why are you so quiet?" Luca's voice makes me jump and I feel almost... frightened doing so. What if he gets mad I jumped? What if he thinks I'm afraid of him? Maybe I am.... Just a little bit.

When he is like this, it's no one's fault. It's not my fault for being scared and it's not his fault for getting angry or upset. We can't control our emotions, we can just pray the wrong ones don't show.

"Oh just... thinking." I mumble.

"Thinking." He repeats back to me. "Thinking about what?"

I try not to overthink his tone of voice. "Oh, just thinking about you. Our future."

"Our future?"

"Yeah."

He nods slowly and I silently sigh in relief. We continue walking and after an hour, the field comes to an end.

Infront of us is a narrow road with nothing surrounding it. No houses, no stores, not even cars. Just field.

"Come on" Luca'a grip on my hand tightens and we both walk towards the road, hoping it will bring us something good, anything good. Right now, I want a store to buy water but I know Luca is looking for something bigger.