chapter 5

"What can I get you guys?" The waiter smiles.

"I will have the maple pancakes, a chocolate milkshake with extra cream and a slice of apple pie." Luca answers.

"And for you, hun?" She asks me.

"A strawberry milkshake, please." I look down at my lap. I am still in a nightgown.

"You need to eat. You haven't eaten in two days and when you have eaten it has been something like a salad. Order." Luca sternly says.

Why does he care? is he going to feed me to his big dogs or something. Hell, maybe he will just eat me himself. Is that a thing? I saw on a documentary when animals eat their own kind it is called cannibalism. I wonder if it is the same for humans.

I almost get so lost in thought, I forget I have a psychopath and a waitress staring at me, which sounds like the start of a really bad joke.

"could I please have blueberry pancakes?" I say quietly.

"Are you ok?" She wonders.

I look over at Luca and then back at the waitress.

"Of course, thank you." I smile and she walks off.

I look out the window and see it is raining. There is nothing around for miles but this diner. All I can see outside is Lucas' car and pine trees.

"So, how old are you?" I ask him.

"How old do I look?" He smiles.

"Uh I don't know, nineteen?"

"seventeen, actually. And you?

"twelve. Why did you kidnap me?"

"Did no one tell you lying is a sin? Silly girl. I didn't kidnap you, I saved you." He says in the most serious tone possible.

"No, I am not religious. Sorry I did not realise that you were. I will try be more respectful of that. What do you think you saved me from?" As soon as the words leave my mouth, I scold myself for even saying I will respect him. It is just so foreign for me to disrespect someone.

"I am not religious, I am an atheist. And from your family, of course."

What does that mean? atheist. Also, thank you Luca but I did not need saving." I try reasoning with him, in a sympathetic tone.

"An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in any god. Are you an atheist?"

"I'm not sure."

"ok. So tell me about you." Luca flashes a warm smile

"There's nothing to tell. I am not even sure I have a personality."

He turns his head to study me and looks me up and down.

"That's not true. You just think that because of your family. You have to find your personality, it might take a while, depending on if you let it show, but it is there."

"How do you know me? How long have you been watching me and why me? What are you going to do with me?" My voice stutters in-between questions.

I can tell he is thinking. He just silently looks into my eyes. I guess he wont tell me that.

"I found you, Emily. You were unconscious all alone outside. You are so perfect I thought you were like an angel. The world was telling me to pick you. After I put you in my treehouse, I didn't want to leave you. So I watched you everyday until now. I finally got you. I don't want to do anything with you. I just want you."

"Here is your food. Enjoy."

"Thank you." Luca says to the waitress.

We eat in silence. It makes sense, his story. Not the part about watching me or anything but it tells me what happened that night.