Chapter 19

Mamoru's assessment of the situation between Usagi and his past self was quite realistic. After Motoki had somewhat involuntarily torn the two lovebirds out of their own little world - candyfloss could really be a paste if your sunglasses flew onto it and affected Usagi's topknot - they had crossed paths again only a short time later through a painting project by the famous artist Yumemi Yumeno and got closer to each other in another very romantic situation.

No matter how hard Mamoru tried to tease Usagi every time they met, no matter how much Usagi pretended to adore Motoki (only to realise that he was only meant for Reika). Even though they hadn't seen each other in their civilian forms for several days.

They were meant for each other and Mamoru knew that he didn't have much time left to trigger the light of hope when Usagi slammed the door behind him one weekend afternoon while he was playing with Kousagi in the room and groaned loudly:

"I can't believe it! Now there are two of me in this timeline!"

"What?" Mamoru looked up, confused at first, but then it suddenly dawned on him. Usagi, however, continued to pity herself

"I was downtown with Makoto today, and suddenly Sailor Moon was hanging off a building like Spider Man and saved two window cleaners from falling. And that happened in broad daylight. People were clapping with excitement! I didn't realise that this kind of thing was part of my job! How am I supposed to do all this on top of school and does this Sailor Moon come from the past or the future or-""

Now it was Mamoru's turn to groan out loud

"No Usagi, believe me, you are completely unique in this time."

Mamoru stood up and began to walk up and down the room. As he did so, he loudly shared his thoughts with Usagi and their supposed little daughter.

"This is a trap from the Dark Kingdom. To be precise, they don't want to save the people of this planet with you, but to lure Tuxedo Mask out with it."

"Huh? But why?" Usagi looked at Mamoru in dismay. He could only smile wearily as he continued his explanation.

"Apparently, they have recognised my biggest weakness. At this point, its solely me who possesses the remaining shards of the rainbow crystal that are still missing after you lost your shard to Zoisite in the amusement park. And now it's up to this cruel general to get the rest of them. By any means necessary, no matter how unusual they may be."

"Well, to be honest, I don't think it's particularly fancy to have a doppelganger on my back who is better than me with totally cool moves. But why should I be your weak point? What do you mean, Mamoru?"

Usagi's question reminded Mamoru of a conversation between them that he had had with her just a few months ago - at least at this time. Hanging in a lift shaft, masked in their superhero identities and in acute mortal danger.

He answered her somewhat hesitantly

"Whenever you're in danger, I feel it in a very special way, I can't help but come to your rescue. Zoisite has figured that out by now."

"Because you feel connected to me in an inexplicable way. Because you have the vague feeling that we were related - a long, long time ago?"

"You remember the conversation in the lift shaft," Mamoru replied tonelessly as he looked deep into her eyes.

"Usako, you know that I can't change the course of history any more than I already have, but you just have to trust me for now."

Gazing at little Kousagi, Mamoru continued.