Forty Five

Cora felt human again

It was an odd and unfamiliar feeling but she felt human. Felt weaker. More vulnerable. She hated it immediately. She hated that when she summoned her fire it was no longer there. When Acai summoned her water, she got nothing. The storm that Unai had been brewing had ceased. Veri could not call on the wind and the others could not call on their Drasel or Nix given power.

It was just gone. All of it.

Freya barged into the room they were. A small drawing room by the looks of it.

She looked sick, like she might as well throw up. She staggered into the room and Cora rushed for her friend before fell.

Sibylla was there as well in heart beat and she placed her hands on Freya in strategic positions.

'What's wrong with her?' Cora asked as the other gods gathered. All focused on her sister.

Sibylla didn't snswer but kept working, kept trying. There was silence then the world tilted and fire roared in Cora's veins again. Freya sat up breathing like a horse that had been forced to go on a run.

'How did I get here?' Freya asked. 'And why are you looking at me like that?'

'Mother?' Ainara called before emerging from the corridor with Reid and Grey. The latter rushed to his wife, causing Sibylla to give them space.

'What happened?' Samael asked Ainara.

The girl forced herself to look away from her mother. 'Reso told me her power was gone. I knew it was Zebel because he is stealing from the spirits and perhaps he found a way to steal back what the spirits gave to others. I tried to break it to make it that you'd be bound to me...'

'But her nose started bleeding and we went to find her mother,' Reso continued. 'Freya fixed it but I don't think Zebel knows.'

Unai crossed the room to her. 'Are you certain?'

'He thinks he has us cornered,' Teria barely got out and her eyes wandered to their plan of attack. Then, it was like something snapped. 'She gave us our power back.'

'Thank you for stating the obvious, Sister,' Zuris mocked and was thrown across the room.

For the first time since Lona, Cora felt like laughing.

'She said that he was coming,' Reid said over Zuris pained grunt.

'Zebel?' Unai asked for clarification.

Reid clarified his statement.

'We work with our plan but he cannot know we are not still weak,' Samael said and like they planned, the gods spread out to find the platoons they were to march in front.

Freya was helped off the floor and put in a chair. Before Ainara and her consorts let no one else get to her.

She had not still had a conversation with Freya about how that union had occurred. Cora hoped that she would be able to after this war. Cora felt her clothes shift and when she looked away from Freya and looked down at them, Samael had his right palm flat on her belly as he formed an armor of gold for her and for himself.