Nineteen

Cora left her bed room the second a scream shook the very walls of the manor, she ran for Freya first but found her bed room empty so she went to the children and found them in Freya's arms

'What is that?' Freya asked and Cora promised to let her know before running for the stairs.

She nearly tripped a few times, but steadied herself each time. She ran towards the sound of the screams, the manor shook violently, but not the floors. That was how Cora knew that it was not from beneath the earth.

Flames of gold filled the great room as Cora reached it. Reid and Samael shielded Derrick with their bodies. The flames rose to the ceiling but did not consume the building. It emitted no heat.

Samael told her to keep away but she didn't listen. She noticed that a woman was crouched on the floor, screaming.

Eleonor.

Cora did not give it a second thought as she walked into the flames.

Samael felt his heart stop.

The heat of the flame before them had deterred him from going any closer to Eleonor, had prevented him from comforting her. They were locked in and he only hoped that Eleonor found a way to calm herself.

He had seen mortals wield great powers but this was something else and his mortal mind could not make sense of it, not yet. He had his eyes on Eleonor but looked up for a moment to find Cora running to the Queen. He screamed at her to stop but she didn't listen.

She held on to the Queen and let her cry in her arms. The flames began to die down, it gave them space to approach. The flames retreated until they returned back to their source, Eleonor.

Cora helped her up and took her towards the stairs, Eleonor said nothing but followed obediently. Reid followed them while Samael stayed back for just a second to tell Derrick that he needed to inform the King of Aderhan and Asha of Asen's family because Darin had chosen to go to war with Aderhan.

 Reid followed them while Samael stayed back for just a second to tell Derrick that he needed to inform the King of Aderhan and Asha of Asen's family because Darin had chosen to go to war with Aderhan

Cora spent three days in Callahan and Eleonor's bed room. It was a lot smaller than hers and Samael's but at least it was still a considerable size. She had been Eleonor's shoulder to cry on, she was not sure of how to inform the queen of the golden flame that had not touched nor harmed either of them.

Samael and Derrick had confirmed that it was hot before scolding her for running into the flames like a reckless child. She waved them off and returned to Eleonor and by association Callahan who had been pale since that night. They refused food but accepted broth and occasionally bread.

The children had grown fond of Ina, Eleonor's horse and had begged Cora to put in a good word for them. She promised to but was not sure when she walked in on Callahan and Eleonor talking. It was a big step. She shut the door behind her and walked to sofa where they sat. Callahan moved to one side and Eleonor moved closer to him.

Cora sat beside Eleonor who had picked up a grape from a small ceramic bowl before them and ate it.

'How do you feel?' Cora asked no one in particular.

'I do not know,' Eleonor said in a low tone.

'Well, we still do not have physical evidence of this messenger's claims yet or even witnesses,' Cora said. 'This must have happened shortly after you left and that messenger was just a day behind you.'

'Why would he sail with a lie?' Eleonor furrowed her eyebrows as she spoke.

'To lure you and Callahan to Welkamia,' Cora suggested. 'Derrick has said that you can stay here.'

'And the guard?' Eleonor asked referring to Reid and his men.

'The barracks are large enough for them,' Cora said. 'It is Derrick's order however, I cannot make any promises on how long your stay can be for.'

Eleonor took her hands, 'Thank You.'

'You looked after Xathanians. I will look after you and your insufferable husband for as long as you need,' Cora promised.

'Thank you,' Callahan said in a hoarse tone. '...and I know I have to apologize for my actions.'

Cora moved her eyes to those purple eyes that had once been a source of safety for her. 'I am doing this for your wife. You are of no concern to me.' She looked at Eleonor and said, 'The children wish to ride Ina.'

'Ina is not exactly tamed,' Eleonor informed her.

'More fun for them then. How long would you need to change?'

'A few minutes.'

Cora nodded and left for Wallace and Ainara's room to find them already dressed. She told them that Ina would be available for a ride. They squealed and sped off. Cora hoped that the stablehands did not lose an arm.

She quickly changed and met Eleonor at the top of the stairs, her riding clothes were black and so were the Queen's. She led her to stables to find the children feeding Ina while the stable hands watched with fear.

Eleonor went to work, adjusting her saddle and asking who would like to go first. Wallace beat Ainara to it while the little lady was fine with Cora's mount.

Eleonor and Wallace set off in a stroll first, Cora followed closely. They were at the edge of the stables when Eleonor kicked Ina into full speed and the mare set into a gallop. Half a dozen soldiers followed them. Cora set the stallion beneath into a gallop as well and Ainara squealed another half a dozen soldiers raced after them.

She had learnt how to ride on her way to Xir. Had mastered it with enough lessons from Samael and Freya but Eleonor was years beyond Cora in skill. Her horse was paces ahead despite the fact that Cora had gone after her and Wallace almost immediately.

Ainara stretched out arms, imitating a bird, she would have to twist this scenario to Freya or risk her head being eaten off. They rode through the manor grounds before returning to the stables when a guard informed them that lunch was soon.

Ainara had swapped places with Wallace during their ride and he was equally a good sport.

The children beamed with joy as they walked into the dining room with one twin to each of them. Oddly, no one was there.

'More for us,' Eleonor told the children who ran for the dessert immediately. 'Thank you for this.' Eleonor said in lower tone. 'I wish it caused the pain to fade but I am afraid that it is still there.'

'One day at a time,' Cora said before the rest of the house hold streamed in.

'Children!' Derrick said causing both Cora and Eleonor to look in the direction of the dessert. The table cloth was stained with chocolate and the cake that once stood tall now tilted.

Wallace took a hand full of cake Ainara followed suit before they both ran for the kitchens, Derrick hot on their tail.

'Kylan is a blessing compared to those two,' Eleonor said in a low tone.

'Is?' Cora said.

'We have no proof or witness,' The Queen stated. 'I do not want to drown in grief anymore. I will be hopeful until it becomes clear that my entire is family is gone.'

Cora gave a small smile. 'For the sake of the Xathanians that your father set free, I hope they are well too.'