Twenty Three

Freya did not hear Derrick's words as he spoke

Freya did not hear Derrick's words as he spoke. He too realized this when he did not get a response to his order. So he repeated himself, so that should grasp the gravity of the situation.

'I will not burden you with the task of raising the children,' he said. 'I will keep them but I want you and them out.'

'I don't...'

'We are through,' he confirmed. Freya thought she had been scared before, that she had been insulted and hurt.

'Why?' She asked.

'I don't know how long you've been manipulating us. It was odd the way we met. The way I just wanted you. The way my mother liked you,' Derrick explained.

'I didn't know I could do that until now.'

'And I am to believe your word?'

'Derrick.'

'Get out. If you are here at dawn, I will kill you myself.'

Freya fought back her tears as she asked. 'Can I see them at least?'

'No.'

'Derrick.'

He walked past her without hesitation like he had wanted to get rid of her for a while. Freya couldn't move or think for a moment. She didn't know where her power came from or how she had it. The wiser thing to do could've been to follow Cora and her company but she didn't want to leave her children.

She wouldn't be able to breathe or eat or think without them. She could not and she would not force herself to. Freya returned to the bedroom she shared with Derrick and luckily she found him there. He ignored her but she didn't care. She didn't intend to let that bother her.

'Where can I find ere?' She asked.

Ere was a deadly poison native to Xir. It was a better fate than living without her children.

'Leave me be Freya.'

'I will not live without my children. You, I can manage but not them. I didn't know about that power until tonight and didn't use it on you. If that was your first thought then perhaps this marriage died before now.'

He looked at her.

'Where do I find ere?'

'What do you need that for?'

'I don't wish to be hung or beheaded. I want to go to the Mount of Glory in my sleep.'

'I have given you freedom to leave.'

Freya let a breath and continued to keep her tears at bay. 'That is not freedom, Derrick. It is a punishment and I will not ...'

'Don't make me change my mind,' Derrick said and Freya knew not to speak. He had never used that tone with her and she did not intend to know how it would end. She also did not intend to leaving her children with him.