二十 (Twenty)

Jeno managed to lead a path to the very back of the bus. "We used to sit back here all the time when we were younger." he said. "We'd talk about the most ridiculous things. It was amazing."

"I can only imagine." said Renjun, giggling halfheartedly. "Haechannie, window seat or aisle seat?"

"Aisle. That way, I can protect you."

Renjun rolled his eyes as he slid into the seat. "You're still going with the whole bodyguard thing?"

"Of course I am." said Haechan. "What, do you not want my protection?"

Renjun merely looked out the window silently.

Jaemin cleared his throat awkwardly, glancing back at Jeno knowingly. "If I'm not mistaken, when we get to school, you'll have to visit the headmaster for your schedules and lockers and all that. Starting in the middle of the school year is a bit weird."

Jeno nodded in agreement. "So Renjun, why did you want to come back?"

Renjun sighed, turning to face his friends again. "I want to be normal. I want to act like this whole incident never happened."

"Normal, my ass." sneered the person in front of them, turning in his seat to face Renjun. "So it's the kid who almost died, huh? Yeah, the whole world knows about you at this point. What makes you think you can fit in again, you brain-dead bitch?"

"I'd watch your mouth, you asshole." said Haechan fiercely.

The bully and his friends oohed. "And who's this, your boyfriend?" smirked the bully. "I notice you're wearing couple shirts- what a cute couple, two imbeciles, one sobbing over his poor baby-"

"Shut up!" said Haechan loudly and firmly, standing up. The whole bus was looking at them by now.

"Oho, someone's awfully defensive." chuckled the bully, standing to meet Haechan's height. "Did I upset you? Oh, I'm so sorry, I know you've spent seven years crying over someone who was supposed to die- and you should have, punk, what purpose can someone like you serve anymore?"

Haechan suddenly punched the bully with all the force he could muster. He fell back against the window with a loud thud.

"Haechannie-" said Renjun, worried, but his voice was drowned out by the bully's laughter.

"You think that'll stop me? I'm not some weak little bitch like your boyfriend here-"

At this point, the bus had stopped, and the driver was hurrying to the back of the bus. The students hurried to block the aisle with their bags and their legs, too immersed in the fight to stop watching.

The bully grabbed a textbook from his bag and smacked Haechan in the face, the latter falling back with a bloody nose. Renjun watched in horror as his best friend stood back up dizzily, ready to strike again.

"THAT'S ENOUGH!" yelled the bus driver, grabbing someone's bag and making a path through the chaos with it. "Both of you stop it! And Seonhee, why don't you come to the front with me?"

The bully, apparently Seonhee, grunted as he dragged his bag down the aisle. "He started it." he mumbled irritably.

"Are you okay?" asked Renjun instantly, wiping the blood from Haechan's face with his sleeve.

"I should be the one asking that question." said Haechan, trying to catch his breath.

"What do you mean? I'm fine, you're the one with a bloody nose." said Renjun.

"That kid... I knew people would be jerks, but damn." said Haechan.

"Haechannie, I expected this to happen." said Renjun. "Not the fighting part, but... you get what I mean. I don't expect people to accept me. And you don't need to beat up anyone who insults me."

"I just want you to be happy, Renjunnie." said Haechan. "I want you to get the treatment you deserve."

"And not everyone is willing to give me that treatment." said Renjun. "They'll look at me and laugh at me, because I'm different. But you can't make everyone like me, Haechan - especially not by punching the senses out of them. Just let people be people, and you and I can be ourselves."

Jeno and Jaemin were staring at the two, smiling. But Renjun and Haechan seemed oblivious to this.

Haechan sighed and leaned against the back of the seat. "I still feel bad, though. I want to make everything up to you."

"What is there to make up to me?" asked Renjun softly. "I've already told you, you're the best friend I've ever had. You've always been there for me, even when I'm a mess. You always wipe my tears away and make sure I'm comfortable, no matter what. I can't help but hate who I am, but you make my life bearable."

"W-wow." said Haechan breathlessly. "Thank you."

"Why are you thanking me? I should be the one thanking you, after everything you've done for me." said Renjun. "You're like... my second half. I can't be complete without you. I may not be able to remember our childhood bond, but I do know one thing; I want to make new memories with you, twice as memorable as before. I don't necessarily want to start over, but I want to add onto what we had, so that we can become truly inseparable."

"They're so cute." whispered Jeno, leaning close to Jaemin. The latter nodded in agreement.

"You have such a way with words. It's so beautiful." said Haechan, smiling.

"Not more beautiful than you, though." said Renjun. "Stay still, you haven't stopped bleeding yet."

***

As soon as they arrived at the school, Renjun and Haechan said goodbye to Jeno and Jaemin and made their way to the main office, having been given directions from Jeno.

"This place is so big." whispered Renjun, his voice echoing through the empty hall, as everyone else was outside.

"I know." replied Haechan. "There are a lot of students. Probably around a thousand, if not more?"

Renjun shivered. That was too many people for his liking.

They reached the office, and Haechan knocked on the door. "Come in." called a deep voice from inside. The voice sent chills down their spines. The man sounded cold and harsh.

But Haechan twisted the doorknob, bowing as they walked into the room. "Good morning, sir."

But the man - who looked even colder than he sounded - was staring directly at Renjun. "Bow."

"Ah, sorry, sir." said Renjun hurriedly, quickly bowing. Haechan gently grabbed his arm in support.

"Tsk, looks like someone's forgotten their manners." sighed the headmaster. "I'm Professor Jung. I've been expecting you two. Here." He handed a paper to each of the boys. "Now scram, I have things to do. Don't get broken, Mr. Huang, it's only the first day. And Mr. Lee, don't go beating everyone up."

They walked out obediently, Renjun trembling. Haechan ran his hand up and down Renjun's arm. "That man was kinda rude, don't you think?" he asked.

Renjun nodded instantly. "Jeno and Jaemin didn't mention that... we should ask them about him."

Haechan nodded in agreement. "Let's go."