十八 (Eighteen)

Renjun woke in Haechan's bedroom. For some reason, the somewhat familiar environment made him smile.

Haechan was sitting beside him, his computer open on his lap. He looked over when he noticed Renjun sit up and look over his shoulder curiously.

"Morning, sleepyhead." teased Haechan, ruffling Renjun's hair. "I was just doing some homework. It's so tedious..."

"Haechannie, I want to go to school."

Haechan frowned at Renjun's sudden declaration. "Really?"

Renjun nodded. "I want to be normal. Even if it takes a long time for me to fit in, I want to try my best to be just like everyone else. I want to pretend this whole mess never happened, and that I'm just a normal teenager."

Haechan pursed his lips. "I mean, I guess it could work... I'm just worried about the people."

"Elaborate." said Renjun, confused.

Haechan sighed. "High school is rough. I'm scared someone will hurt you. And heaven knows the bullies..."

"Don't worry about that." said Renjun. "I can protect myself."

"You know, when you woke up, I was thinking of going back to school myself." said Haechan. "But then I realized you'd need me. Now... what if I come back with you?"

"I'd love that." said Renjun, smiling softly.

"Are you sure about this?" asked Haechan, looking into Renjun's eyes with a serious expression. "It's a big decision..."

"Positive." said Renjun firmly. "I don't want to be kept back by my condition any longer."

"I'm proud of you for that." smiled Haechan. "We should talk to our parents first, though."

"I hear my mom downstairs, so we can do that right now." said Renjun. "Come on."

Haechan was surprised when Renjun stood firmly on his own and held out his hand, as if his body had magically strengthened during his nap. "Wow, you're eager." he said, amused.

Renjun nodded proudly. "I've decided that I'll be strong, from here on out. I want to be normal."

"Just as long as you're still being yourself." said Haechan, taking Renjun's hand gingerly. "That's all I could ask for."

***

"You really want to go back?"

Ms. Huang sat with her head in one hand, a glass of wine beside her. She looked exasperated as her son and his best friend stood before her. Mrs. Lee stood beside her, patting her on the back.

"I'm sure it'll be fine, Meihua. Haechan will be there to protect Renjun, and you know he won't let anything happen to him."

Ms. Huang scoffed. "What happened this morning?"

"You know about that?" asked Renjun, surprised.

"Haemi overheard your phone call with Haechan earlier." said Ms. Huang. "She texted me as soon as she heard." She sighed and crossed her legs. She looked like she meant business. "Huang Renjun, why didn't you call me first?"

Renjun took a deep breath, but stood his ground. "Haechan makes me feel safer than anyone, Eomma. He was my first thought."

"I'm your fucking mother!" yelled Ms. Huang, suddenly aggressive. Renjun stepped back, intimidated. Haechan put an arm around him, trembling.

"Meihua, that's enough." said Mrs. Lee sternly, pushing her back into her chair. "I think you've drank more than you realize-"

"I don't understand why you trust Haechan to protect you! Was he there this morning, when that horrid woman was assaulting you?"

Haechan looked down at the ground, tears hanging on his eyelashes. It was true; he hadn't protected Renjun from one of the scariest things the elder had ever experienced.

"No, but he came as quickly as he could." said Renjun in defense. He tilted his head slightly, his tone suddenly dangerously low. "And where were you, Mother?"

"Okay, that's enough." said Mrs. Lee, stepping between the two. "We'll discuss this in the morning when you're sober, Meihua. And as for you two- go. Just go."

Renjun and Haechan turned to go upstairs, Haechan's head still hung low. Once they were locked in Haechan's bedroom again, Renjun put an arm around Haechan.

"Haechannie, you're not upset about what my mom said, are you?"

"I'm sorry." choked Haechan, swallowing his tears. "I'm sorry I couldn't protect you this morning."

"How could you have known?" asked Renjun, not unkindly. "And... you might not realize it, but you did protect me, Haechannie. You came as quickly as you could, and you stayed with me until I felt better. That's all the protection I could ever need."

A tear slipped from Haechan's eye. Renjun pulled Haechan closer, allowing the younger to rest his head on his shoulder. "Just cry." whispered Renjun, stroking Haechan's hair. "You'll feel better, I promise."

"I've let so much happen to you." sobbed Haechan. "The crash, your mental breakdowns, and now this... some friend I am."

"Lee Haechan, you are the best friend I've ever had." said Renjun, in a firm yet gentle tone. "Nothing could ever change how much I love you. You know that, right? I love you so much, Haechannie."

"I... I love you too." sniffed Haechan. He knew the love implied was only platonic, but it still made his heart flutter to hear those words coming from Renjun.

Renjun rubbed small circles in Haechan's back until the younger fell asleep, his head heavy on Renjun's shoulder. The smaller grinned and carefully laid Haechan down on the bed, giving him a small forehead kiss.

"Good night, Haechannie."

***

"You can't continue like this, Meihua."

Meanwhile downstairs, Mrs. Lee had taken the wine from Ms. Huang. The latter was slumped in her chair, only half alert.

"I know." she groaned. "But I need to distract myself somehow. I can't spend my days stressing about the boys."

"What do you think I do all day?" chuckled Mrs. Lee dryly. "We shouldn't worry about them, Mei. We have to let them sort this out on their own. Interfering in their story will only hurt them. I don't want them to feel pressured to make a decision, either way."

"You know I won't remember those words by morning, there's no use in being poetic." said Ms. Huang monotonously.

"I know." said Mrs. Lee simply. "But I'll repeat it as many times as I have to. I only want the best for our sons. Whatever they decide to do with their friendship... it'll make them happy, either way."

"Do you ever regret giving birth to Haechan and exposing him to this cruel environment?"

Mrs. Lee hesitated, thinking carefully about her answer. "I've spent seven years dwelling on the unfortunate situation between the two. But never once have I regretted the birth of my eldest son, because I know he's Renjun's strength."