一 (One)

A day turned into a week, then a month, then a year. Then seven years.

Haechan hadn't even known it was possible to survive a coma for so long. Renjun hadn't opened his eyes for seven whole years. The doctors hadn't taken him off life support, partially because Haechan refused to let them, and partially because everyone was holding on to the hope that Renjun would wake up any day now.

But day by day, little by little, Haechan started to lose hope. He had a feeling he'd been waiting seven years for nothing. If Renjun hadn't woken up by now... the only reason he knew his friend was still alive was because of his slow, unstable breathing. Otherwise, he'd start to think he was already dead.

Haechan still remembered that day like the back of his hand. He hadn't truly smiled since then, not even once. He slept with Renjun's fox plushie every night. He spent more time at the hospital than at home.

Renjun had been transferred to a hospital in Seoul one week after the incident, so that Haechan could be closer to him. Mrs. Lee and Ms. Huang stayed with him as much as possible, but their lives were busy. Haechan had started an online schooling program, completing his classes on a computer, all without leaving Renjun's side. It was almost impossible to get him to go home.

As for Renjun... he was about as well off as anyone in a coma. He was skinny and bony, much skinnier and bonier than anyone his age should be. Haechan constantly had to remind himself to be careful when touching the boy, for fear that he might snap in half at the slightest brush of skin. The doctors had given him as much nutrients as possible through a tube so he wouldn't starve, but being stuck in a hospital bed had taken a toll on Renjun's already thin body. Even if he survived, the damage could never be fixed completely.

On Renjun's sixteenth birthday, Haechan arrived at the hospital around four in the morning. Mrs. Lee and Ms. Huang accompanied him, the latter of the two carrying a carefully wrapped present in her arms.

"Happy birthday, Renjunnie." said Haechan softly, gently stroking the elder's hair. "I wish you could be awake to celebrate with us. Remember when we used to have parties together? You'd challenge me to Just Dance, and you'd always win... I never thought I'd admit this, but I let you win most of the time.

"It's been lonely without you. Your friend Chenle plays with me to try and make things better, but it's just not the same. I want you, Renjunnie.

"I want to hang out with you after school, like we always would before this mess. I want to have sleepovers with you, when we would watch movies in my bedroom, and I would always fall asleep beside you. I want to hug you when I'm stressed, I want to laugh with you when I'm happy, and I want to cry with you when I'm sad. I just want to be with you, Renjunnie. I wish things were different."

A tear slipped from his eye as he softly traced the lines on Renjun's hands, careful not to touch his bones. Mrs. Lee stepped forward and rubbed his shoulders, staring at Renjun's fragile body.

Ms. Huang sniffled as she placed the package on Renjun's bedside table. "It's a sweater, sweetheart. I knitted it specially for you so that when you get out of here, you can be warm and cozy."

Haechan carefully laid his head on Renjun's stomach, crying into the sheets. However, what he didn't expect was to hear a small mumble.

"H-Haechannie..."

"Did you hear that?" whispered Mrs. Lee. She, Haechan, and Ms. Huang all leaned closer, unable to believe it.

"Haechannie... where are you..."

"I'm right here, I'm right here." said Haechan quickly, sitting up and stroking Renjun's hair. "It's okay, Renjunnie, I'll never leave you."

"Hae... channie..."

And miraculously, Renjun's eyes slowly fluttered open. The women and Haechan held their breaths as he frowned and looked around the room, his eyes taking a moment to settle. Then he sat up quickly, instantly sending an excruciating pain through his head.

"Woah, calm down, you just woke up." said Haechan, attempting to get his best friend to lay back down, but he shook his head wildly.

"Where's Haechannie?"

"I'm right here, I'm Haechannie." said Haechan anxiously.

"No... no, you can't be. I want Haechannie!" cried Renjun.

Three doctors rushed into the room, forcing Renjun back against his pillows. He let out a cry of protest and struggled against their grip.

"Where is he? Where's Haechannie?"

"Lay down, sweetie." said Ms. Huang, tears of joy running down her face.

"I'm going to ask you to drink this." said one of the doctors, holding a small cup of a soothing serum. Renjun slapped his hand away.

"Get away from me! I don't want to drink anything! I want Haechannie!"

"Can he not... recognize me?" whispered Haechan, looking up at his mother. She wore a grim expression.

One of the doctors managed to force the medicine down Renjun's throat. He coughed a bit and laid back, still clearly shaken, but not as frantic as before.

"You don't want to strain yourself right after waking up. It could cause more damage." said the first doctor, changing his medicine-stained gloved. "And after waiting seven years, I'm sure that's the last thing your mother and friends want."

"S-seven... years?" questioned Renjun, confused.

The doctor nodded. "You've been in a coma for seven years. Can I ask you three to leave?" he added, turning to Haechan, Mrs. Lee, and Ms. Huang.

"Of course." said Mrs. Lee quickly, grabbing her son's hand. "Let's leave for now, sweetheart."

"I don't want to go home." said Haechan. "I want to be with him."

"We won't go home. We'll just go downstairs." said Ms. Huang. "Do either of you want anything to drink? I'll pay."

"That's not necessary." said Mrs. Lee quickly, pulling out her wallet. "Don't waste your money on us. You and Renjun need it more."

The Huangs were rather poor. The Lees had helped them through the medical journey of the past seven years to the best of their ability. It was part of the reason the two families were as close as they were now.

"Alright, if you insist." said Ms. Huang. "I'll just have a latte. Haechan, do you want anything?"

"It's alright." said Haechan, shrugging.

About ten minutes later, the doctors came back. "You can see him now." one of them said. "He's much calmer now, but-"

Haechan didn't even wait for her to finish her sentence. He sprinted back upstairs and to Renjun's room.

"Renjunnie, I missed you so much!"

But he froze when he saw the confused frown on Renjun's face. He seemed almost... cold.

"Who the hell are you?"