二 (Two)

"Who the hell are you?"

Haechan stood there for a minute, shocked. "I-I'm Haechan, your best friend! Don't you... don't you remember?"

Renjun shook his head. "I have no idea who you are."

"B-but just minutes ago... you were asking for Haechannie... I'm Haechannie, Renjunnie!"

"You're not Haechannie. Haechannie is seven years old, almost eight. No offense, but you don't look like a seven-year-old or an eight-year-old."

"Time's passed, Renjunnie." said Haechan desperately. "It's been seven years. I'm fifteen now. And you're sixteen."

The doctors followed him into the room, Mrs. Lee and Ms. Huang right behind them. "He's lost his memory." said the female doctor quietly.

"No, no, he can't have." said Haechan, turning to his mother with teary eyes. Mrs. Lee gave him a sad smile.

"B-but... he still remembers that day!"

"It's the only thing he remembers." said the head doctor. "He doesn't remember you, or his mother, or your mother. All he remembers is the crash."

"Surely there's something you can do?" pleaded Haechan. "Surely you can bring his memory back?"

"That's the thing... we'll schedule periodic appointments once he's discharged, but for now, there's nothing we can do. And I have doubts that the appointments will do any good."

"So his memory's completely... gone? Forever?"

The doctor nodded grimly. "Most likely, yes."

There was a moment of tense silence before Renjun spoke, his voice hoarse. "So these people... I know them?"

"I'm your mother, sweetie." said Ms. Huang, stepping forward. "This is your best friend, Haechan, and his mother, Lee Haemi."

"I really don't remember." breathed Renjun. "I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize, it's not your fault." said Haechan, trying to hide the tears hanging on his eyelashes.

"But... were we close? You and me?"

"Very." swallowed Haechan. "You practically lived at my house. We spent more time together than apart. You were like a brother to me."

"How long have we been friends?"

"Since I was born. Our families were already close, and we were born a few months apart." said Haechan. "We'd do everything together. We've been inseparable for years."

"I really wish I could remember." said Renjun. "It sounds like I loved you a lot."

Haechan hesitated. "Y-yeah. We loved each other a lot."

And the tears fell down. Renjun stared worriedly, knowing he should do something.

"Come here, Haechan." he said finally, patting the seat beside his bed.

They seemed to have forgotten the adults were there. Haechan walked over slowly, his head hung low to hide his tears. Renjun reached up with all the energy he could muster and wiped Haechan's tears with his bony thumb.

"Don't cry, Haechannie... I'm really sorry I can't remember."

"I'm just worried." choked Haechan. "What if... what if we lose everything we had before?"

"We won't." said Renjun softly. "I'll try my hardest to make things even better than they were before. Don't cry."

***

Renjun was allowed out of the hospital a week later. Haechan insisted on riding home with him.

"I'll bring you to your house, then?" said Ms. Huang, slinging her almost empty purse over her shoulder. Renjun's hospitalization had taken a toll on their bank balance.

"I don't care. I just want to be with Renjun." said Haechan. "Renjunnie, where do you want to go? Your house or my house?"

"I guess my house... my father must miss me."

Haechan shifted uncomfortably. "Your father... he left you. Before the accident."

"Oh." said Renjun softly. "Did he love me?"

"I'm not sure." said Haechan. "But what I do know is that he must have loved you enough to do what he thought was best for you." He grabbed Renjun's hand. "Get in the car, I'll help you."

Mrs. Lee smiled fondly at her son. His love for Renjun was endless, and it showed, especially now.

"I'll tell Dad you'll be home late." she said.

"Can't I stay with Renjunnie overnight?" pouted Haechan.

"I don't have a problem with it, Haemi." added Ms. Huang.

Mrs. Lee hesitated. "Is it okay with Renjun?"

"Of course, ma'am." said Renjun. "If we're best friends, I don't see why I'd say no."

A pang of sadness hit Haechan again, but he smiled to cover it up.

"See, Eomma? I want to take care of him."

"Alright, fine." sighed Mrs. Lee. "Remember to use your manners."

"Don't worry, he's an angel to us." said Ms. Huang, patting Haechan on the shoulder. "He treats us well."

"I'm glad." grinned Mrs. Lee, turning to Haechan. "See you tomorrow, sweetheart."

***

Renjun's house was about fifteen minutes away. The small gray bungalow was just the way Haechan remembered it; slightly worn-out, cramped, and filled with memories of him and Renjun.

Haechan stopped at one picture in particular, running his finger gently along the frame. It was his favorite picture; two-year-old Renjun holding one-year-old Haechan, both of them wearing the brightest of smiles. It reminded him of innocence and youth and mostly... them.

He only realized Renjun was behind him when the elder spoke. "Is that us?"

Haechan nodded. "This is when we were babies. You loved to hold me, back when you were bigger than me."

"Was I taller than you... that night?"

Haechan shook his head. "I was a bit taller. Neither of us were by any means tall, but... you were so cute. And you still are."

Renjun blushed. "St-stop it... do we normally tease each other like this?"

"Of course." said Haechan instantly. "I'm usually the one teasing you, though. You're just too cute when you get flustered."

Renjun smiled. "I'm flustered right now. Do you want something to eat?"

"Why are you asking me? You literally haven't eaten anything in seven years." said Haechan. "I'm fine, I'll make you something."

"You don't have to, but alright." shrugged Renjun. "What do I like to eat?"

"Hm... you absolutely love warm cinnamon pancakes, drizzled with a bit of syrup and sugar." said Haechan. "I'm not the best cook, but I'll try."

"Wow, how'd you know that?" asked Renjun, impressed.

"We used to know everything about each other." said Haechan, his voice cracking a little at the past tense.

"Haechannie, are you upset with me?" asked Renjun, noticing the pain in Haechan's eyes. "I'm so, so sorry. I know it's not my fault, but... I just wish I could make this up to you."

"I'm not upset with you." said Haechan quickly. "And... you can make it up to me."

"How?"

Haechan took Renjun's thin hands in his own and looked him directly in the eyes. "I promise to make every moment, from now till the day I die, even more memorable than before."

"Wow, were you always such a poet?" giggled Renjun.

"No, not really." chuckled Haechan. "That's how you know I mean it. I'll start your pancakes, you should stay here. I don't want you straining yourself right after waking up from a seven-year coma."