Memories - Choi Beomgyu

12th November 2012

Jieun ran down her new school's corridors while apologising to the students that she bumped into. It was her first day to the school and she was already running late for her PT period because she was still not familiar with her surroundings.

She stood at the entrance of the basketball court and gulped at the sight of her angry teacher. She hesitated for sometime but soon cleared her throat and spoke up nervously.

"May I come in sir ?"

"Come in !"

She gulped nervously as the teacher's glaring eyes never left her trembling figure. She was sure that she was doomed for the day. Nothing could be worse than some extra running around the track...right ? Thats what they did in her old school.

"Ms Kwon, Detention after school for coming to the class late !"

The angry teacher roared causing Jieun to shut her eyes tight in humiliation and fear. She gulped her fear and nodded her head in response.

"Yeonjunnie !!"

Jieun whined as she sat at the lunch table along with Yeonjun, Kai and Taehyun. She had recited the whole incident with the PT teacher to the boys but received only teasing in return causing her to get whiny and annoyed.

"Its ok Jieun-ah !! Enjoy your extra stay at school !"

Kai screamed as he laughed at the girl's fuming face. Jieun glared at the boy but soon shrugged realizing that she had no escape from the situation.

Jieun stood at the entrance of the detention room and stared inside. She found a boy looking like her age sitting at the very back of the room with a story book in his hands.

She quietly stepped into the room and walked over to the first bench. She sat down at the bench and observed the whole room. After what felt like an eternity, she sighed in boredom and decided to introduce herself to the boy.

"Hi ! I am Kwon Jieun and I am new to this school."

"Hello...I am Choi Beomgyu. Nice to meet you."

The boy said as he signalled the girl to take a seat on the bench beside him. Jieun gladly sat down and tried to start a conversation.

"So...why are you here ?"

"That angry bird of a PT teacher gave me detention for being literally 5 minutes late ! What about you ? Why are you here ?"

"Same ! He gave me a detention without letting me explain myself."

The two rambled to each other the whole detention about the PT teacher that they hated the most.

From then onwards, the two became quite close friends. Jieun introduced the boy to her other friends and surprisingly they all got along well.

As time went by, Jieun became even closer to the boy. He had become like a sibling to her. Helping her to cope up with ever problem that she faced. His hugs were the best and Jieun absolutely loved them.

9th July 2023

Jieun stared at dead body of Beomgyu. The joyful look on his beautiful face was gone along with the warmth that provided comfort to the broken girl. The softness of his face was replaced by a dead look. The pain of drowning to his death was still visible on his face and Jieun absolutely hated it but she hated herself more.

She hated herself for not being able to do anything. She hated herself for not trying harder. She hated herself for not being careful enough and letting this cruel world take her brother like friend away from her.

And now she sat near his pale body. His love filled heart no longer beating.

The guilt caused her chest to tighten up but she couldn't do anything but cry from the pain of losing him while holding onto the daisy that was left with her.