59

As Raven was making her way up the stairs with Zed next to her, she felt her chest tightened and she begun to breathe heavily. It was as if her body was rejecting to work as it used to. And maybe it was for the convalesce she had barely even begun; Raven had a feeling it was the shift she had felt in her heart. The way she was calm even in front of Zed's sister accusations. She was used to her emotions spitting out of her like a volcano, she had never been one to let her thoughts simmer for more than a little while.

Halfway, she grabbed the banister and almost collapsed.

"Ravenna?" Zed exclaimed bewildered as his warm arms found her body.

Raven looked around, she was relieved no one was close to see her demise. She was glad the only person she would be a disappointment to, was just herself. She had defeated death but a flight of stairs was icing her breath as if she had run for years nonstop.

"I told you, you need rest." He reprimanded her this time, attempting to take her in his arms but Raven pushed him away, hanging tightly to the banister.

"Little Lynx?" the hurt in his voice made her feel guilty for wanting to deal with this on her own.

"I can't even get through a staircase; how am I supposed to ride a dragon? He was right." Raven deflated, her head spinning like she had blown hundreds of balloons. She watched Zed crouch in front of her, not touching her as his eyes softened beyond reason. There was so much affection for someone who wasn't even worth the effort. Raven darted away looking down.

"Araxys is a smart dragon, the most powerful even, but he's a male and does a mistake most male beings do, underestimate their females. He thought Seraphyx wouldn't survived and when she did, he refused to talk to her ever since. He took away your right of riding your own dragon without giving you even the slightest hint of a choice, now here in Twistal, we like free will and so I will ask you this just once. I want you to be completely truthful, little Lynx."

Raven nodded, her arms getting slacked.

"Do you really want to ride Seraphyx?"

"Truly." She simply answered with no hesitation. Zed gave her a firm wave of his head and grabbed her by the waist.

"Then up, we gotta get you changed." Raven stared in his crystal eyes as he guided her one step at the time. Raven pressed her lips together and endured the pain and the icy ache in her chest with the only comfort of looking at Zed's faith in her. He was determined for both of them.

Raven managed to get to her room and dunk into her mattress, slow tears fell over her eyes as she felt so heavy.

"I can't move." She blurted, her voice about to break. She was in so much pain it was almost unbearable.

"I'll dress you then." And he did. Took away her nightgown, got her legs through her leather pants and into her white shirt before wrapping a small bodice so she would keep straight. He slit a pair of boots on her feet and put her seated so he could braid her hair.

All with care and kindness.

Raven's thoughts darkened as she thought of how many women he could have if she had simply died. How it would have been merciful to just let him go. Maybe if she came back the prince would call the war off.

"Well, I do not wish for other women, Ravenna and if you're thinking this, it means I failed you."

He had read her mind? How?

"I can read anything you think, we're connected because of our dragons."

"But I died, Araxys bond with me is broken and so is my magic." She opened her palm but nothing came. She was empty. She couldn't feel him, she couldn't sense the fire anymore.