20

Raven had stayed longer than she cared to admit listening to the water pour down from the faraway waterfall. She could see her room from here. If she squinted, they could see the conservatory hidden behind the heavy pour of water but nothing more.

It was the only room visible.

And suddenly. Her blood begun to boil.

Did the prince spend long time here?

"Not that I know of." Araxys answered right away.

"I can see you well from where I stand. I can see my windows too. And my bed."

Was he spying on her?

Oh worst. He had shown her this place so she knew he had eyes everywhere. If she attempted to climb or escape. He would find her in no time.

"I think he simply wanted to show you the ducks, Hatchling. If he had any bad thought about you, I would catch it."

"Are you on his side now?"

Araxys fell silent as Raven stomped back to the castle. He knew a lost cause when he saw one.

When she arrived in her room. Araxys was eyeing her suspiciously. It was comical honestly. He seemed amused for every stomp she took. Like a dad watching a toddler get mad.

"Your grace." Lela and Ami rushed to her side, to help her get undress. They exchanged a questioning look when Lela held the cloak so that Ami could see it better.

"Is this..."

"Don't you have anything better to do than to be noisy?" Lela's big smile was quick tuck behind her impenetrable facade as she folded the cloak and got rid of it immediately.

"You know, milady. The prince spoke to the king today. We're declared out of the flogging list. And also, he sent you this." Ami pointed to the table by the fire. Raven slipped inside her nightgown sat down.

It was a soup. With vegetables and herbs.

Ravenn grabbed a spoon and brought it to her nose, to see if it was some kind of trick.

"We already test it out, milady. Is absolutely delicious."

Raven let the silver spoon pass through her lips and the liquid warmed her throat in a welcoming feeling that made her mouth water. She emptied the whole bowl with not even an hint of shame. She was so famished she left the plate completely clean.

The two maids jumped happily around her.

"You know, your grace. The prince told his father that you defended yourself against the false accusation and that she had been so rude, the power of the dragon took over you and there wasn't much to be done to stop you until he arrived."

Why? Raven wanted to know why was he being so kind to her.

"Did the queen tell you the ball would be in a week?" Ami wanted to know.

"Yes, but what do I need to do?"

"Well, dance of course." Lela moved a chair and was seated with her dreaming eyes staring into Raven's soul.
"You're expected to attend and open the evening with a first dance. You will be performing with the prince of course. Every member of the ton has been invited. From all four kingdom, well three. They will announce the engagements, and people will want to see you with the prince, you know. To see..."

Raven took her head in her hands.

"I don't know the first thing about dancing. How am I suppose to learn in a week?"

"We will teach you, your grace. We have watched so many balls since we were little. We know everything." The smile was hopeful on their faces but Raven was extremely tired and confused.