13

Raven was awakened by the sound of curtains being pulled and ceramic clicking.

"Your Grace, The King send us to wake you. He said he has urgent matters to discuss with you and will not be delayed any longer."

Raven sat as the two maids rolled away her comforter and begun fixing her face and hair. She was so stunned, having gotten so little sleep after the shadow prick had left, that she was having an hard time putting thoughts together.

They help her up, dress her in the same style they used the day before and braiding some strands away from her face in small braids.

"What are your names?" Raven inquired after they had splashed cold water on her cheeks to eventually end her sleeping trance.

"Our names, your grace? She is 1789 and I am-"

"Not your slave names, your real names." She stuck her hand out and presented herself. "For example, I'm Raven."

"Oh." The two young women lowered their eyes and the taller one gulped hard before answering. "We're not allowed-"

Her heart clenched.

"Well, I'm to be queen and I refuse to use the name your captor gave you. You will not serve me as slaves. So choose your names, ladies." Raven touched the wrist of the tallest one with pale green eyes and waited.

"I really like the name Lela, your grace."

"Lovely! And you?" then turn to the other.

"Amidala, your grace."

Raven's head tilted to the side confused. "That doesn't sound like a name from around here, am I wrong?"

"You are, your grace. I will change it if it bothers you, but..." Her brown eyes shrunk and she silenced immediately. Raven gestured her to continue with the gentlest touch. Not sure if it was the right thing to do. When one is afraid, the last thing one wants is to be touched but maybe the young girl could sense Raven's good intention because she eventually kept going.

"There was this lady, once. She came from the realm of Twistal and was dressed in beautiful leather corset and had on the most lavishing dress I've ever laid eyes on. I was washing the entrance pavement of the castle and every single one of the nobility stepped over me, some knocked my bucket off. But this Lady, she helped me by fixing it and then gave me a piece of chocolate. Then she left, people calling her name from everywhere. I've never tasted anything like that but it was white and sweet, I ate it sucking it for days afraid of the day I would run out. From that moment I thought if I could pick any name someday, it would be hers."

That touched Raven's heart. Surely not every noble person was an asshole but she was not surprised that every single person she met in Roylat was. The people represent their king, isn't that was they say?

"And from this day one, I shall call you Ami and Lela."

They bowed and she didn't miss the smile of pure joy as they shared a look of gratitutde. She would protect them at any cost, swore Raven. Even if that cost was her life.

"Careful what you promise, hatchling."

"Why?"

"Because everything you promise, I promise."

Good.

She eyed the enormous dragon balled up on his lava stones, only one eye visible through the long tail and it was judging Raven.

She waved and helped herself out, heading to the throne room. The sun had barely made it through the gullies when she set foot through the large gates.

"There she is." The annoyed tone did not go lost on Raven but she singed her maids to stop and moved forward alone.