23

The day had finally come. She had been up since the first ray of sunlight, trembling like a leaf because from today forward she would be declared somebody's property. And she hated it.

Raven was fully clothed, her hair fixed in with small a braid that fell on each cheek while the rest of her strands rocked freely on her back. The dressed had arrived only moments before. I was a beautiful velvet crimson dress with a heart shape bodice embraced by tiny gold leaves. While Lela and Ami fixed the remaining detail, Raven felt uneasy.

Lela made her twirl on the spot, to check for the length again so she wouldn't trip.

Unfortunately, there had been little time for her maid to alter the piece and add a pair of pants underneath.

This and the fact that the gown was the same color as her blood, made Raven feel exposed.

She felt like a Roylat national flag and she discovered how much she hated the feeling of being recognized as a member of the royal family. Because that dress was a statement they were making to the poor and the slaves. She would never be on their side.

As Ami pulled the strings of the bodice, Raven's eyes darkened. She hadn't given up on finding a way to end slavery, she had just been caught up in her own routine. Dance lessons, etiquette and fittings for a pile of clothes that all looked the same to her.

"We practice milady." Lela reassured her mistress. "There is nothing to be afraid of."

"And if you are, I can torch away anyone that dares to laugh at you."

Now, that was reassuring.

"I thought you didn't care for human matters?"

The dragon curled his nostrils and puffed a small cloud of smoke.

"It's is you the only thing that matters to me."

Raven's smile was genuine. It was wide and beautiful. Her maids were taken aback from the force of that simple gesture.

They couldn't hear what he said, but Raven did. And she straightened her back, her heart slowed down a little more and Araxys only, could recognize she was taking her stand.

She was ready for war.

He couldn't be prouder.

"Will you come down and save me if something goes south?" Raven asked as he maids escorted her on the marble staircase and help her down the stairs.

"It's not you I worry about, hatchling."

"Good."

She repeated out loud as her uncomfortable shoes reached castle entrance. The ballroom was on her left. She could hear everyone already drinking and laughing. The dancefloor was still empty, someone reached over their shoulder to check if she had arrived and the second, they spotted her by the entrance, the room fell so silent, Raven could hear her own breath.

"Remember your grace." Lela squeezed her arm tenderly. "The Straighter, the Stronger, The better."

"Princess Raven of Roylat, first of her name."

Ami gave her a small push and her legs, previously frozen, begun to move.

She didn't know where she was supposing to go, so she took one step after the other until her heart pumped a little faster. Her eyes found a man standing at the center of the room, his dark hair pushed back, his shadows pooling at his feet that cleared the moment his green eyes met hers.

He was wearing the male version of her dress. Same shades, same golden décor. Only he was born to wear red. That being blood of his enemies or the color of his house. Raven's chin almost dropped to the floor; he looked like a beautiful fox with his white fur on his left shoulder that cover his whole arm.

The prince offered his hand.

Raven gulped and slowly let her palm slip into his. He pulled her close enough so he could place one arm around her waist. She wasn't too close to him, but the sweet perfume caused Raven to take a step back. She was suddenly blocked by his strong hold.

"Are you scared, princess?"

Raven's glacial eyes turn to his.

"Of a little fox? Never." The prince mouth quirked up and Ravenn looked around the room.

A soft music rose from the farthest corner of the room where a little orchestra was playing.

The first step Raven took, was the wrong one. They collide almost immediately but the prince played it cool and attempted to spin her around so it wouldn't look too bad.

The music started again. This time he held her a little better and pushed her back she would follow his lead. Raven managed. She remembered what the maids had taught her and yet it felt terribly mechanic. She had to use every single fiber of her being to complete such a silly task as dancing.

"Stop trying to win over and let me guide you." he whispered to her ear.

"I'm not doing anything."

The shadow at his feet purred sliding under Raven, attempting to take control of her legs. Raven cringed and in a very disastrous startle, she crumbled to the ground tripping over it.

The room echoed with the sound of her behind hitting the polished pavement and she felt ready to be swallowed. She wanted to crush the first against the marble and break the castle for how mad she felt.

But there was something worse than silence.

Whispers loaded with poison.

Noble women opened their fans and begun chattering. Men turned around so she wouldn't see them laugh.

Her heart ached.

"C'mon. Get up. You're making us look bad." The prince muttered behind gritted teeth. Clearly pissed with Raven for something she didn't do. Something she didn't chose.

"I wonder if she even has a dragon." Someone mumbled.

"She is a disgrace." Another spoke, not so soft anymore.

There was no point anymore.

Her hands begun to burn; her breath accelerated.

No, the fire was creeping out of her and the pavement was starting to get warm.

"Hatchling?" Araxys growled in her mind. "What are they doing?"

She closed the door shut. If Araxys flew here they would win. She knew how much they wanted to see him, it was the only thing that mattered to them and she wouldn't give them the satisfaction.

The prince lowered attempting to grab Rave by her arms to pull her up but his hands blistered and he winced back.

"Stop it-"

Raven's heart was exploding. She felt rage, she felt humiliation but a part of her was still there attempting not to blow everything up. Only because her maids were there. She looked for them everywhere and found Lela held by a guard. Surely because they were trying to leverage on the fact that Raven cared for her. but seeing her so tiny in the man's arms clicked something inside of raven and she got on her hands on knees.

Raven focused on her breaths, counting them when she finally regained the hearing, something shattered and suddenly, the warmness of her power was dissipated. She could feel her hands and everything around her.

She rose her eyes at the exact moment when a pair of blue lustered boots hit the ground across from her and the entire ballroom exploded in snow and ice.

*i'm writing this as a way to fill a void fourth wing has left inside of me because there's no third book yet. i know about every plot hole and name written badly but i don't have much time and this is my little getaway car so please forgive me if it's not perfect*