Part 14

Slade didn't pull away from him until he was calmed down. He was embarrassed that it lasted for so long, but he needed to let go of all the pent-up feelings. He was much better now.

"OK, kid. I have a birthday present for you." He motioned for Damian to come close and give him his hands. "Close your eyes." He told him. Damian closed his eyes.

He felt a box being put into his hands. "You can open your eyes now." He said.

Damian opened his eyes and opened the top of the box. Inside was what looked like a small black ball of fur. Upon closer look, he noticed that it wasn't a ball of fur but a small black kitten.

He took the kitten out. It was so small. Probably around 40 days old. The fur was completely black, and as the kitten opened their eyes, he was greeted by beautiful emerald eyes staring at him.

His breath hitched as he brought the kitten close to his chest. Remembering unpleasant memories of his time in the league. When he saw a very similar kitten injured.

He tried to hide the poor creature in his room as she recovered. He cared for her for 6 months. Bonding with her. But one day, he got summoned to Grandfather.

The man ordered him to kill the kitten. He refused. But Grandfather told him either Damian did it or he would do it himself and he wouldn't be as merciful.

Damian asked for a sword, but he was told to use his bare hands. He cried as he did his best to swiftly end the poor creature by breaking her neck. He was 5 at the time, but he remembered it as if it had been yesterday.

Holding the body as it got cold. He was then pulled into the middle of the room and tied to the posts meant for punishment. He was whipped until he was bleeding. His back, his front, arms, and legs.

They wanted to make sure that he wouldn't disobey again. All the whips he endured were nothing compared to the pain of killing the poor animal. The body was left in front of him so he could see it.

Slade and Mother were away at the time. Slade came back a few days later, and when he learned of what had happened, he freed him and took him to the medical room. Damian asked him to bury the body. Slade only nodded and left.

He never got attached to another animal again. Fearful of their fate. Damian never dared to ask about where she was buried. They never brought her up again. he didn't think that Slade would remember.

But here he was, holding a cat that looked exactly like her. His Nura. His light. He looked at Slade. Question evident in his eyes.

"It took me a while to find one that looked like her. She is yours." He said with a grin.

Damian threw himself at the man and hugged him. Being mindful of the small life in his hand.

"So, what do you want to name her?" Slade asked.

'Bastet.' Damian signed as he held the purring cat to his chest.

"Like the Egyptian god?" Slade asked.

Damian nodded, and Slade gave him a grin.

It was harder to sneak back with his precious cargo. He couldn't let the small creature set off the alarms by accidentally making a noise. So he had to wait a little near the manor and pet her gently for her to fall asleep.

He then sneaked in while trying to move in a way not to wake her up. He already had a plan, and hopefully, it would work. He sneaked into his room first. Setting the sleeping bundle in his laundry basket so she couldn't get away.

She then sneaked into Drake's room. He was still sleeping. She quickly took back the tracker and went back to his room. Luckily, the kitten was where he left her.

He took her and jumped out his window. It wouldn't set any alarms since he opened the locks, and his tracker wouldn't set off in the manor grounds. He went straight for the small shed. He knew the cameras didn't monitor that area intensely.

It was near the outer edge of the property, so if anyone was sneaking in, they would usually get recognized by either the cameras on edge or, when they got close to the manor, the cameras on the walls of the manor. So, this wasn't a particular area that needed monitoring.

She went into the shed. Trying to look natural with the small cat inside his hoodie pocket. He went inside. Waited a few minutes and came back while he actively tried to make his hoodie pocket look larger.

He decided to use the backdoor and sneak into the kitchen. He knew there was some cat food in the pantry since Pennyworth sometimes feeds the strays. Kyle was the one who insisted that they should always have some at hand.

So Damian went to the pantry silently. He should still have 2 hours before others returned from patrol, but if the night was slow, Pennyworth might be up to prepare some food for them.

Damian checked the kitchen, but nobody was there. He was about to open the pantry door when he heard a cough behind him. He turned so fast he got a whiplash. Pennyworth was standing near the light switch.

"Master Damian. While I am happy, you have finally found some appetite. I do not recommend looking for junk food at this hour." Pennyworth said, amused. He didn't sound mad, which was good.

Damian couldn't take both hands out of his hoodie. It would reveal the weight in it. He wanted to tell everyone in the morning. When they were rested and in a better mood.

Damian decided to take only one hand out. 'I was looking for some crackers.' He signed.

"I've been in the same situation too many times for it to work. I am quite aware that you are not fond of the crackers. Also, please remove your other hand from the pocket." Pennyworth said. He seemed tired. Damian didn't argue. The kitten chose that moment to meow.

Pennyworth didn't look amused. "Master Damian. Is there a cat in your pocket?" Pennyworth asked.

Damian decided to come clean. He took the small kitten out and put her down near his feet. She immediately started playing with his shoelaces.

'I found her outside in the shed. I want to keep her.' Damian signed quickly.

Pennyworth just stared at him and the kitten for a minute. "Fine. I don't think having a pet would harm anyone. But you are responsible for her and all her care. Now, follow along. We still have the equipment Miss Kyle brought when she was here with her cats for a week." Pennyworth said.

Damian remembered it. A few months ago, Kyle was in the manor for a week since her apartment was under renovation, and she brought her cats with her. She brought everything from litter boxes, feeding bowls, toys, and all other things he wasn't familiar with.

She left some in the manor, telling them she might bring her cats in the future, too, so it would be hard to move them back and forth.

They certainly had the space to store them.