Part 8

It didn't take Damian long to come to terms with the realization that he might not be able to talk anymore. It was only a possibility, but still, what use talking had when he didn't have anyone to listen to.

It would be a hindrance in missions, but for the most part, the only people he interacted with knew sign language.

He was getting discharged from the hospital today. It's been a week, and while he was mostly recovered, he was instructed not to speak for a few more weeks.

The only bright point was the visits from his siblings. Drake was practically glued to his room, Grayson visited a few times to fuss over him, Brown and Cain came and had a movie night with him, and even Todd came to visit him once; he brought him a book telling him to get well soon.

Pennyworth visited him every day for a few hours and brought him some food. It was a kind gesture Damian appreciated very much.

Everyone avoided his questions when he asked about Father. He didn't visit him. Damian knew something was wrong. By the way, everyone was mad at Father. But they all told him not to think about it.

Damian changed into the clothes Pennyworth brought yesterday. A simple hoodie and jeans. Drake was going to pick him up soon.

Damian finished packing up his belongings into a backpack. He already signed off his discharge papers. He didn't want to stay in the room longer, so he decided to head down and wait. He put the hood of his hoodie up to hide his face.

He wasn't well known to get recognized, but Drake might be. He picked up a crutch he was given to keep weight off his ankle. He didn't want to use it since his ankle was mostly healed, but Leslie was insistent.

He headed out slowly, mindful of his healing body. No need to get injured in a hospital. As soon as he headed toward the entrance, he located Drake. He was about to come up and saw him. he jumped to take the bag from him and walk beside him in case he stumbled.

They both knew that Damian wouldn't let him treat him like a china doll, and this was as much help as he was going to accept. They headed to the car silently, not wanting to draw attention. After they both sat in the car and buckled up, Drake broke the silence.

"Leslie said you shouldn't be back in the field for another 2 weeks. Your body went under too much stress. I know you won't stay idle, so I got a few cases that you can work on off the field." Drake said. Even since the incident, he has kept to a gentler approach with Damian.

Damian hated it. He didn't want to be treated differently due to his injury. But still, it's been a while since he's felt this mental exhaustion. He wasn't about to put up a fight and push him away. He was just tired.

He wanted to argue that he shouldn't be treated like a child. Someone who needs a fake job to feel useful. But Drake was driving, and he couldn't distract him by having an argument in sign language, so he just nodded his head.

They arrived at the manor without any problems. Drake helped him to his room, where Alfred had prepared some fresh tea and soup for him. Damian wasn't hungry, but he didn't want to be ungrateful.

He unpacked his belongings and decided to take a shower. He changed into a more casual outfit and got to his desk. He had something to work on. He absentmindedly drank his tea as he started his work.