Part 10

Damian sat at the table with others. The dinner was a light affair. He didn't want to ruin the dinner, so he waited until they had some dessert to ask his question. He got the attention of others by tapping his fork on the table a few times.

Grayson and Todd were sitting before him while Drake was beside him. Pennyworth was standing next to the table, watching them. It was the perfect time to get the answers.

They fell silent. 'Where is Father?' he signed.

"Damian..." Grayson wondered off. Others were avoiding his gaze.

'Just tell me.' Damian signed with urgency.

Drake sighed. "We..." but he was cut off.

"I banned him from returning to the manor for the time being. No need to take the blame, Master Timothy." Pennyworth said, coming closer to the table.

"No, Alfie. We all decided it's best if he stays away for the time being." Grayson said as he got up and put a hand behind Pennyworth's back.

'But... Why?' Damian signs hesitantly. Not sure of what to make of the revelation.

"Because brat, he has to pay for the bullshit he pulled. If it was up to me..." Todd started to raise his voice.

"JASON." Grayson interrupted him.

"What? You think it was ok for him to..." Todd said as he stood up from his seat.

"I didn't say that," Grayson said with a slight panic in his voice.

"Then are you..." Todd started again.

"Enough," Pennyworth said, which made both boys immediately stop.

'But it was my fault. I deserved it. If I didn't sneak out...' Damian's hands were shaking, and he couldn't continue signing.

"No. It isn't your fault. You made a mistake, but it doesn't give him the right to hurt you like this." Drake said. He leaned a bit to his side to put an arm behind Damian.

Damian closed his eyes. He was feeling too many emotions, and he was overwhelmed. He couldn't process his feelings and was drowning in them. It was his fault. Father was kicked out of his house because of him.

He didn't want it. He couldn't. he should be the one kicked out. He was the one who ran away when he should have been resting. He created this mess and Father was paying for it. He...

He felt gentle hands on his shoulders. Squeezing. His eyes snapped open to see Grayson's face before his own. He had a sad, distant look on his face. He pulled Damian into his chest to hug him. Damian froze. He knew this was a hug, but he hadn't been embraced for so long that he couldn't remember what it felt like.

He couldn't bring himself to break out of it. It was warm and gentle. As if Grayson was afraid to hurt him. Damian could hear his heartbeat. It was solid and reassuring. He smelled like cologne and musk. It wasn't unpleasant or overwhelming.

It was faint but still so obviously there. It was also warm. He could feel his breath on the back of his neck from where his head was positioned under his chin. It tickled, yet the warm breath was helping him regulate his own shallow ones.

Was this how others felt when hugged? Was this how all hugs felt? He dared to relax his body, and as if on cue, the arms wrapped around him grew tighter, bringing him closer.

"Dami. No matter what you did, this was not your fault. Nobody thinks so. What Bruce did was wrong on so many levels. Nobody is going to justify it. Until he comes to his senses, we won't allow him near you again." Grayson said, taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly.

"He won't come back until he can prove he can control himself. If he suggests moving to the manor, you will move in with me or Jason. He is not allowed near you. Ok?" Grayson gave him a gentle shake to push him into answering.

Damian was so confused. He didn't know what to do or how to react. He just wanted someone to tell him what to do. He was so tired. He felt his cheeks dampen. He was crying. When was the last time he cried?

Was he allowed to cry? Why was he crying? He didn't know. But he needed to get away. To clear his emotions. He broke out of Grayson's hold and ran to his room, ignoring shouts of his name.