Part 2

Damian was patrolling with Drake tonight. There was a big case going on with the Scarecrow. He broke out a few weeks back, and there was news of him working on a new variation of the fear gas. They didn't have much idea of what he planned, but a few victims they found showed the same signs.

The new fear gas made them extremely aggressive during hallucinations. They were high on adrenaline to the point that tranquilizers did not work. They had to knock the victims out the old-fashioned way or wait for it to wear out. So far, there were only a few cases, but since it was more physically demanding, Father, Todd, and Grayson were working on it.

The remaining cases were divided between Brown and Cain for ordinary crimes and Drake and Damian for the cases that needed investigations. The crime rates were rising for an unknown reason, and that was why they had an all-hands-on-deck approach now.

Damian could feel the effects of long continuous on his body. He was tired and low on energy. But he wasn't about to complain and got benched. Being benched meant that someone else had to take on the load. It would be his fault.

He had a fever. It's probably a flu. He had to suck it up and continue. They just finished a group of thugs. Damian's stomach was turning. He was nauseous. His head was spinning. He tried to walk away from Drake for a little to ground himself.

Drake was finishing off by tying them up. Damian went near the dumpster in the alley and held to its side. He tried taking deep breaths, but the cold night air was only making him shiver. He suddenly felt a hand on his shoulder, and he froze.

"Robin? Are you listening? We have to head 4 blocks North. There is a report of gunshots." Drake said.

Damian could only nod in response. Drake was looking at him with a funny expression. He looked as if he was searching for something. "Are you OK?" He finally asked.

"Yes. Now let's go." Damian said as he headed for the roof.

They got there in the middle of the mayhem. There were thugs shooting each other everywhere. Some of them were already down, but Damian counted 23 still standing. They looked like most of the new gangs.

Wanna be gangsters trying to prove themselves and not knowing when to back out of a fight. Damian and Drake nodded to each other as they each decided to take a side. Damian quickly jumped to his targets.

He had his Katana at hand and landed on the back of the first guy. He quickly jumped back to kick a second one in the ribs. His body was so attuned to fighting that even in his weakened and disoriented, he could take care of this level of opponents.

He let his body guide him. A punch to the face. A kick to the knee. He was quick and efficient. He even knocked a few of them out. It took him mere minutes to finish his side. His body was aching and begging for him to stop.

He took out some ropes and handcuffs and began tying them up. Making sure to take away their weapons. Just as he finished, he turned and saw Drake on a call to make the police report. He started walking towards him slowly. Trying not to sway and trip.

He was finally close enough as Drake finished his call. He had his back to the men he finished, and Damian could see that he had done a similar job. He gave Damian a nod and started comms with Oracle to see where to head next. Just then, Damian barely noticed it. A flash came towards Drake from behind. Damian didn't have time to think.

He just pushed Drake out of the way, and as he tried to move, he felt the bullet pierce through his shoulder. The weak spot in his suit. Just his luck. He felt the flashing pain go through him as Drake yelled, "ROBIN."

Damian brought a hand to hold his shoulder. It was bleeding quite heavily. He noticed Drake quickly going to finish off the perpetrator before kneeling beside him. "Shit. Let me have a look." He said. He removed Damian's hand gently, with his own shaking one.

"OK, it seems like a clean shot. We need to get you to the cave for stitches immediately." He said then he took out his medical kit to put a medical patch on the wound and slow the bleeding.

"It's OK. I can go back myself." Damian managed to say in between his shallow breaths.

"Hell no. I'm taking you back. No arguments. Now, can you stand up?" Drake asked as he raised to his feet and pushed a button for his bike to get there.

Damian nodded and did his best to get up with a groan. But as soon as he got up, his vision went dark, and he fell. The last thing he felt was Drake catching him right before he could hit the ground and a shout of "ROBIN!"