Secrets Revealed

Back in Pop Village:

KP: Viva, where is your sister? I haven't seen her for a few days. Nor have I seen Branch and his brothers.
Viva: Oh, did Poppy not tell you? She left me in charge while Branch and his brothers looked for their mother. I think her name was Lilac?
KP: Oh no...
Viva: What? What's wrong?
KP: Poppy and the others are in danger. Probably Branch, especially.
Viva: What! Why? Who's Lilac, dad?
KP: I might as well explain how I know of her first. (pulls out a scrapbook of Troll lineages) As you know, pop trolls sing happy songs because we're a happy species. And when we're sad, we turn grey. But long ago, when the tribes first split, a female pop troll became so sad and desolate that she created a song using her voice so that when one hears it they will be lured in by the enchanting tune. If sung long enough, the tune can entrance anyone, even the troll singing. Branch and his family are descendants of that troll. That trolls name was Delilah. As years passed, Delilah grew to control her enchanting gift and used it to protect the pop tribe. But some of her family members couldn't control their gift and lost their minds to the enchanting tunes they sang. So she made a rule for the enchanting gift: Only to be used in times of desperate need or aid. Not for personal gain. When Grandma Rosipuff was alive, I knew she had the gift. She used it to protect the village from danger. Then, when her her daughter Lilac was born, she possessed the gift also. But unlike her ancestors before her, she would use her gift for her own personal use. Such as: luring men to love her, singing to her sons to make them fall asleep when times got tough, and even putting a trance on her husband Arrow to leave and never return.
Viva: Dad, that's horrible! But there's something I still don't understand. Why are you saying Branch could be in trouble the most?
KP: Well, from what Rosipuff told me was that Lilac was desperate to have Branch because that was the last time she saw Arrow. And she loved Arrow so much she sent him away. So what I'm thinking is that she might lure Branch in with her song to get him to stay with her. Forever.
Viva: I have to go help them! I'm a girl so I won't be affected, right?
KP: No, you will be. Only women from the descent of Delilah can block out the song. Although...
Viva: What? What is it?
KP: Something Rosipuff told me after Lilac left was that John Dory, Branch's oldest brother, could block out the song. She told him that this made him special and would be of great use one day.
Viva: You think John Dory can stop Lilac by himself?
KP: Maybe. But it does say in this scrapbook that a troll from the same descent of Delilah can reverse the song if sung in a different pitch. But it's very complicated for male trolls because they don't have the same vocals as female trolls. But maybe, just maybe, he might be able to get through to her. If not, I don't want to think about the worst.
Viva: Thanks, dad. But what can we do to help them? We can't leave them alone with nothing! Ooh I got it! I'll send a glow bug to deliver a message to John Dory, since he's the one that won't be entranced, telling him everything you've told me.
KP: That's an excellent idea, Viva. But how?
Viva goes over to the scrapbook and rips out the passage about Delilah and what to do about her species of troll descendants.
KP: Viva! What are you doing?! That's Troll History!
Viva: Daaad, this is important! A life or death situation! We have to help them by any means necessary! (whistles)
A glow bug flies over, Viva hands it the papers and sends the glow bug off.
KP: Where did you send that glow bug?
Viva: Poppy said they were traveling to the North Woods.
KP: (gasps) The Echoing Woods!
Viva: What?
KP: Only those who don't know of those woods call it the North Woods. But to those who do know of it, call it the Echoing Woods.
Viva: What, why?
KP: Because anything that is said or sung more that once echoes and eventually drives that troll into insanity.
Viva: Oh Poppy, please be careful.