Nightmare or Memory?

JD: Mhm, momma?

*John Dory's Dream/Memory*

Lilac: Ok boys, time for bed.
Clay: Moooom, we're not even tired.
Spruce: Let's play squishball!
JD: I call being a captain!
Clay: Why should you be captain?
Lilac: Boys-
JD: Uh, because I'm the oldest?
Clay: That's not fair!
Lilac: JD? Clay?
Floyd: You guys, mommy's talking.
All bros: NOT NOW FLOYD!!!
Lilac: THAT'S ENOUGH!!!
Everyone stops talking and starts to tear up.
Lilac: I'm sorry. How about I sing you a song?
All bros: Yeah!
As their mother sang her song, each brother fell to sleep in an instant. All except John Dory, who had his eyes closed but was listening to everything. When his mother finished her song, she heard a knock at the door. It was her mother, grandma Rosipuff, who took the night watch to look after her grandsons. But when Lilac opened the door, Rosipuff looked disappointed.
Rosipuff: Lilac, I know what you did.
Lilac: I didn't do anything wrong, mom.
What both of them didn't know was that John Dory was listening to every word.
Rosipuff: You can't use your songs on the boys. It's only for emergency situations, and instead, you use them for your own personal gain! I thought I raised you better.
Lilac: (rolls eyes) Whatever. I'm going to meet with Arrow. Keep an eye on the boys.
Rosipuff: You will regret your decisions one day, Lil. I just hope you don't drag your sons down with you.
When Lilac left and grandma Rosipuff was tidying things up, John Dory decided to follow his mother to go see their father, Arrow, who only met with Lilac every few months because he was a scout for Troll Village and the trips were dangerous. He followed her to a clearing where he saw his father, who had blue green skin, orange hair, a scar on his chin, and a vest made of leaves. *Where do you think Floyd got the vest?* As Lilac rejoiced at seeing her husband once more, they sang heartfelt songs about their love for each other, John Dory rolls his eyes as he hid behind some bushes.
Arrow: How are the boys? I miss them. I wish I could spend more time with them. Have you told them yet?
Lilac: They're themselves. And no, I haven't. Plus, we have my mother to watch them. So, let's continue just being with each other.
Unlike Lilac, Arrow actually cared about his sons and their well-being. So when he heard Lilac say this, he pushed her aside and started to question whether she cared about their son's.
Arrow: Lilac, this is important, especially with another on the way.
John Dory's ears perked up when he heard this. Thinking another? Another what? Another sibling?!
Lilac: Arrow, I love them, I do. I just can't care for them the way a mother should. I want to be free... with you.
Arrow: That's not right, Lil. I'd give up scouting and be with our sons than just be you.
Lilac: So, you're saying, you love them more than me? Is that what you're saying?!
Arrow: No, Lil, I love you all equally!
JD started to get nervous. He always got scared when his mother would yell. Like she had some sort of power in her voice that had to be listened to.
Arrow: This is foolishness!
Lilac: I should've never loved you in the first place! Then I wouldn't have all these little nuisances around me!
Arrow: Lilac, I hope you don't mean that...
Lilac: Ugh!!!
Arrow: Lil, calm down, regain control.
Lilac: I- I can't! (squeezes her head)
Just then, she started singing an enchanting melody that made Arrow go into a trance. She gestured for him to come forward while whispering: "Leave Troll Village, and don't come back." Arrow, who was still in a trance like state, did exactly that, and that was the last time he ever saw his father. After Lilac's melody was over, she got on her knees and began to cry for the pain of having to send the love of her life away, causing her great suffering. JD couldn't believe what he saw, so when he got back to the pod and slipped in through the window, he was about to go to bed when he saw grandma Rosipuff standing at the doorway.
JD: H-Hi, grandma.
Rosipuff: If you're not asleep, that means you listened to everything, snuck out, and saw your father. Am I wrong?
JD: (sigh) No. But speaking of dad, I do need to talk to you about what happened between him and mom.
Rosipuff listened to what her poor grandson had witnessed and decided that he was old enough to tell him a secret about their family.
Rosipuff: John, you can't tell your brothers what I'm about to tell you. Do you promise?
JD: I promise.
Rosipuff: Alright. The women in our family have a rare singing talent that can put people to sleep or cause them to do things, only if someone is in danger. Most of the time. Unfortunately, your mother was never able to control hers. So when she would get super emotional, she would lose control and let the song take over her mind. The women in our family can block out the trance like tune, but you, your special. You can tune out your mother's song. If what you said tonight is true, that you have another sibling on the way and what happened with your father, I want you to keep an extra protective watch on your brothers. Do you promise me?
JD: I promise grandma. (yawn) Night grandma, love you.
Rosipuff: Goodnight, dear.

*John's illusion Dream*

JD: Guys! Answer me! Clay! Bruce! Poppy! Branch!
???: (enchanting humming)
JD: (covers his ears) No! Not again! Never again!
Seeing a figure emerge from the mist wearing a dark hood carrying a baby version of Branch, humming the enchanting tune.
JD: B- Branch? No! Let him go!
More mist rolls in, and they both disappear. John Dory runs in after them. Finding himself lost, he looks in all directions until he hears the same tune. Looking where the sound is coming from, he sees Branch (grown up) standing out in front of him. Curious, he goes to his brother.
JD: Branch? Are you alright? We have to get out of here. I think she's coming for you.
When Branch doesn't say anything, John Dory turns him around only to reveal its his father Arrow!
JD: Aaaaahhhh!!!! Father?! But you- that night - I saw!
Arrow remained silent as JD heard the song once more. Then, a familiar voice.
Lilac: (creepy voice) Give him to me John. He's mine.
Arrow turned back into Branch as he began to walk backward towards Lilac.
JD: No! You can't! I made a promise! No! Nooooo!!!

JD: (wakes up screaming) Nooooo!!! Agh, huh, ugh. (looks to the stars) Oh grandma, I don't know if I can protect them any longer. I'm just... I'm scared.