Mercedes | 34

Months pass and we fall into a routine, Coriolanus and I. We spend more nights together than apart. Whether he stays in my room or I stay at their house. He's at the university 5 days a week studying and I'm working on the winter collection for our company. Some nights he wakes from nightmares of the games and events from District 12, but he never wants to talk to me about it.

"Coriolanus would you do me the honors of modeling the collection I'm working on? All of the pieces I create will be yours when I'm done," I sing the last sentence trying to convince him. I wrap my arms around his waist from the back pressing my chest into his back as he buttons his shirt in front of the mirror. His hair has grown in nice and he's gone for a very mature hair style, grooming his curls in a combed back way, brushing them into a wave.

"When and how long would it take?" He asks glancing my way through the mirror.

"Next week. I need updated measurements of you," I swing around his waist looking him in the eyes. He wears his usual button up and black slacks to class, paired with a light suit coat due to the changing fall weather.

"Sounds good. I'll be back here tonight. We can do the measurements then," He lightly smiles at me pressing his lips to mine wrapping his arms around my back. He releases rubbing my cheek with his thumb. "I can't wait to see what you create for me."

"Well its for the general public, don't get it twisted if you don't like everything. I just need your body," I joke, turning my head to kiss his thumb pad.

"I see how it is. Just use me for my body huh?" His other arm grips harder around my waist pulling me closer into him.

"Took you long enough to figure out," I laugh moving to wrap my arms around his neck. He pulls my face towards him and latches his lips on mine. Our mouths fight one an other, his teeth pulling at my bottom lip forcing entrance into my mouth, shoving his tongue forward.

He moves both of his arms under my bottom and lifts me off the ground. I wrap my legs around him and he sets me on my vanity, he hips pressed up against mine. I lean back into the mirror and he leans just as hard into me. His arms planted on the top of my ass as he squeezes.

Reluctantly, he pulls away, both of us breathing hard. "I can't be late for class again. I think Dr. Gaul will feed me to her creatures this time."

I giggle pressing the wrinkles out of his shirt, "Yeah I could afford to show up to work on time as well." He back away after setting me back on the ground. I adjust my fitted white sweater vest and the collar of my forest green turtleneck before slipping on heeled white boots, slighted covered by the forest green slacks I've paired. "You need a ride?"

-

After work I pick up dinner for Coriolanus and I from our favorite restaurant down the street. I decided to walk to appreciate the last of the "warmer" days before the coldness took over. My heels clink against the pavement as I walk one hand filled with the food, my other carrying my wristlet.

"Mercedes, is that you?" A voice calls from behind. I slowly turn around seeing a familiar figure walking towards me. Are you fucking kidding me.

"Hi Ambrose," I plaster a fake smile on my face. I hold my bags closer, I just have to cross the street and I'll be at the club.

"Wow, you look great," He stops in front of me, hands in the front pockets of his black and gray checkered trousers. "How have you been?" He looks a lot better from the last I saw him in the summer.

"Good, really good actually. I'm very happy now. How about you," I try to keep it short, I dont own this fuckhead anything.

"Good, Mercedes, that's good," He clears his throat, "I'm getting better, Dessy I really am. I'm in recovery and seeing a therapist. I'm two months sober now."

I try to formulate words to express my feelings, but I'm stuck, "Wow, Ambrose I-" My legs suddenly feel weak. "That's great."

"Don't worry, I know what you're thinking," He shyly smiles at me. One time he told me he was going into rehab while we were dating and he ended up on a 4 day bender with an endless amount of girls. "I met one girl in recovery and I'm continuing to only see girl."

"I'm happy for you," I shift my weight starting to feel uncomfortable in this conversation.

"Are you still with Snow?" He asks, disgusts slightly strikes his face.

"Yes, she is," I hear from behind me as a hand wraps around my waist. Coriolanus stares ahead at Ambrose, his nostrils flared and jaw tight.

"Jesus Coriolanus. The fuck happened to you? You look twenty five now. I didn't even recognize you," Ambrose lets out a laugh crossing his arms over his chest.

"Well you certainly don't look like a homeless man anymore," Coriolanus retorts sharply.

"Goodness. Guess you really turned into a man huh. Belittling others around you for your own good," Ambrose squints his eyes.

"Yeah that's me," He smiles sharply, tightening his grip on my waist, pulling me closer. "Now if you'll excuse us."

"Yeah, I'll see you guys later. Nice seeing you Dessy," Ambrose nods towards us and turns away.

"No you won't," Coriolanus mumbles under his breath taking the bag of food out of my hands.

"Really?" I ask as we cross the street. "Did you have to be that mean?"

"Are you being serious right now? Just because he's not a drug addict anymore doesn't mean he didn't treat you like a rag doll. I don't have respect for him so I don't have to act like I do."