Mercedes | 19

The 10th Annual Hunger Games Reaping Day is today. My second least favorite day of the year right after the Hunger Games day. The whole event usually over in 2 hours max, still haunts me all year long. Most businesses are closed on the days of coverage to "celebrate" First to watch the reaping day coverage, the games, and then celebrating the victor.

I sit in my room sewing together a commissioned piece on a dress form mannequin, turning the tv on, waiting for the coverage to start. The screen suddenly changes from the logo of the Hunger Games to our Panem weatherman the screen. I roll my eyes coming to the realization they have a host this year.

"This is suddenly starting to feel like a reality show," Pluribus walks into my room bringing a tray for lunch. Tea sandwiches and a cut apple with a cup of tea on the side. He doesn't live in the club, but is usually here daily on and off.

"You're telling me," I scoff picking up the tea cup, "I feel like they're going to add more throughout the years to keep people more interested. I almost didn't turn it on this year."

"I have no idea why the continue to torture the districts, not everyone was involved in the war," He sighs, sitting on the edge of my bed. "Any plans the rest of the day? I was wondering if you'd help sweep up the main floor and dust?"

I nod taking a bite out of my sandwich, directing my attention back to the television. The host goes through each of the districts flashing images of the scared or intimidating children being pushed towards the trains after standing on the stage, "Ugh the districts need me to update their fashion." I admit opening my window to light a cigarette, something I can blame the games on, making me want to smoke.

'Except for that one," Pluribus points to the TV as a petite gorgeous girl's image is shown representing district 12. "Look she's a singer too."

That dress. The color combinations with the tulle seamlessly blending into each other. Absolutely gorgeous. I immediately grab my sketchpad to replicate that design, she's going to be a big hit.

-

"So now Coriolanus has to wait until the Hunger Games are over in order to see if he'll receive the Plinth Prize or not," Tigris runs her hand against the fabric from our warehouse looking saddened. After last night, her calling me hysterical on the phone, telling me about news of Coryo not receiving the money and instead has to take care of that poor girl from district 12.

"we'll do whatever we can to help out, perhaps send the poor girl food?" I question trying to offer to lighten the mood.

"I think that's a great idea, Des. Thank you," She smiles softly. "Maybe a change of clothes too."

"Are you kidding me? With that dress she has on? She has to keep that on," I scoff at the thought of getting rid of her dress. "That's her staple, Lucy Gray and the rainbow dress. That's how they'll memorialize her back in her district."

Tigris sets down a set of buttons forcefully, "Really Des? Have some faith. She's not even in the capitol yet and you're killing her."

"I never said that, Tigris please," I roll my eyes picking at the ribbon rolls. "Anyways, how did Coriolanus like his shirt yesterday?" She used his father's old dress shirt and added different detailing handing it off to me for dry-cleaning in the morning.

"He loved it, Mercedes, you should've seen his face. You should've seen him!" She exclaims that smile reappearing on his face. "He looked like royalty. Like he'll be the future president of Panem."

"Goodness you really think so?"I ask looking through my sketchpad to reference my next project.

"He is the smartest person I know. He just has a lot of pressure on him right now, but once he's at the university he'll thrive. We just needs to get the games over with."

"Breaking news from the Capitol Zoo! The tributes have arrived and it seems that a certain Academy student has found himself right in the middle of it. What is your name?" - the TV plays lifelessly in the background of the store, "Coriolanus Snow, This is my tribute Lucy Gray Baird."

Tigris and I snap our attention to the TV both letting out a gasp. What. The. Fuck.

-

"Mercedes," Im stirred awake, being shaken by someone. I must've fallen asleep during my sketching. I open my eyes meet the bright blue of Coriolanus Snow's eyes, glowing from the moonlight, filled with panic. "Mercedes please I don't know what to do."

"Coryo, what's wrong," I sit up in my bed turning on my bedside lamp. He sits on the edge of the bed immediately closing around me for a hug, his face in the crook of my neck. How'd he get in here?

"I went back to the zoo, after school, to give Lucy Gray food. A few others joined me and one of my classmates got killed by their tribute. She was teasing her with food to perform. It all happened so fast and it was all my idea," He cries out. I pull him closer against me feeling his weight shift on top of me as I lay flat on my back.

"Oh, honey, no," I run my fingers through his hair. "You can't blame yourself for that. Not all of those tributes are good people and they're scared young kids. Especially if your classmate was provoking her."

"I guess. I can't believe it," He sniffs lifting his face to look at mine. "Now Dr. Gual wants me to write up ideas to try to get more people to watch the games."

"Why would you do that?" I question stroking his cheek, flexing my neck to kiss his forehead.

"I'd do whatever I can to increase my chance of getting the Plinth Price and if that's what she wants to put in a good word, I'll do it." He furrows his brows as he speaks maintaining eye contact.

"Well that's fair I guess, she's been requesting more outfits, so I'm sure the more people who watch kids kill each other, the more money for her," I shrug trying to make him relieved and take the heaviness of the day off his shoulders.

"I have plenty of ideas, I just hope they're up to her standards," He brushes off my comment shaking his head slightly. "How are you, Des? Im sorry I showed up unannounced I just didn't know where to go. You're the first person I thought about."

"Oh, Coryo. I'm so sorry, but I'm glad you came to me. I'd do anything to make you feel better," I smile, then purse my lips for him to lean in and press his against mine. The sweet kiss lasting no longer than 10 seconds. "I'm okay, trying to get caught up on my work during this break. Missing you."

"God, Des I miss you so much," He presses his lips against mine again a little more passion behind it. I never want his lips to leave mine. "I wish I could stay with you tonight." He mumbles against my mouth.

"You could Coryo, I'd take you to school in the morning," I sing lightly trailing my kiss down the side of his neck. "Get you breakfast in the morning, a strong growing boy like you needs to eat."

He groans shifting to lay on the side of the bed, "As tempting as it is, I should leave," He frowns turning my face to look at his. "It's already late. You were sleeping and I barged in to wake you up. Plus Pluribus might not be happy if he finds out I'm sleeping with his basically adopted daughter."

I giggle at the thought of Coriolanus being worried about Pluribus, "Okay rule follower, I'll see you sometime soon then." I roll on top of him connecting our lips as I nibble on his lower lip, sucking it into my mouth before releasing.

"Now you're really making it hard to leave," He sighs gripping onto my hips. "Hey by the way, do you think Pluribus has a guitar Lucy Gray could borrow? I want her to sing tomorrow at the interviews so she can get the most donations."

"I'm sure let's go take a look, then its past your bed time," I laugh, lazily rolling off the bed. "You want me to take you home too?"