Prologue | 2

The two child sit on her lumpy thinned mattress enjoying the aftertaste of the sweet treat giggling thinking of their silly fight over a silly piece of candy. Although to Tigris, she understood the meaning and desire of something so small, and vowed to always sacrifice for her younger cousin. She messes up the curls on his head as she pops off the bed, straightening out her Scarlett red school uniform. She has just started her freshman year at the capitol academy, and pride fills her chest as she admires herself in her broken mirror hanging by a thread on her wall.

Her uniform is the one piece of clothing she hasn't had to mend or maniuplate the fabric herself to fit to her ever-growing frame and still smells fresh as compared to the rest of her wardrobe lingering with the scent of moths. Coriolanus stands next to her, bringing her attention to how he seems to grow daily slowing catching up to her, leaving his pants as high waters. She'll have to add fabric to those soon, she thinks, as he always grows length wise, but never adding an inch to his waist band. She turns away from him and walks out of her room to set the table in the kitchen prepping for dinner. 

"Children?" Grandma'am announces her arrival to the penthouse lightly closing the door behind her with elegance. "I could hear you running around from the ground floor all the way up the staircase" She gives the children a stern look before placing her groceries on the kitchen counter. Coriolanus joins the two women in the kitchen awaiting his role in the dinner prepping process. 

"Sorry Grandma'am, we were playing a game of tag to work up our appetites," Tigris explains as she sets out the china for three, giving a quick glance to a smirking Coriolanus, who still has chocolate on the corner of his mouth. Looking back at the table she dusts off the fine china, being the only tableware the family has left as they had to give away most of their belonging to pay for food and schooling. 

"That's quite fine," She replies planting a kiss to both of their cheeks prior to removing the less than fresh produce from the brown bag. "I ran into Mr. Pluribus Bell after I stopped at the store and he graciously gave us a few things for dinner. I always enjoy his company," She says looking off into the distance with her hand on her heart just below her pearled necklace, before adding, "He has hired a very young girl to help around in hopes to open his club again. What joy that will be."

-

They finish their dinner of potato and grain soup with a side of boiled lima beans from their gracious Pluribus, and off to bed they went without a second thought of his new hired girl.