十六 Lesson 16: Courage to Stay True

Sport Center

"It's the nationals and so many people are gathered", Haruko said with excitement. "Shohoku's here. We don't have a representative so I guess I will be joining hands in cheering on your side", Sachi gave a thumbs up. Sakuragi's friends started introducing themselves. Mito just laughed and looked at Amane who's got an arm band. "Medic? Did you volunteer?", he asked. "Long story", Amane just gave a small smile. "But to answer, my brother asked me to", she added. "Why do you have to keep so many secrets?! If I didn't get a stomachache, I wouldn't know you have a hot brother who is a doctor!!!", Sachi whined. 

Court

The medic team was given a spot on the side of the court. There is too much intensity on the court as cameras are set up on all sides and university scouts are scattered in the place. "Mizutani! It feels refreshing to see you here", Ayoko waved her hand. "Do your best, Ayoko-san and also Shohoku", she cheered on them. "But seriously, why are you here?", the manager crossed her arm. There was some room for doubt in her mind but wanted to hear from the girl herself. "Hanamichi-kun and Rukawa-kun made me realize a lot and they both helped me in some other way. I also want to be this close to support them", Amane answered. "You don't have to add Sakuragi as your alibi", the curly upperclassman elbowed her. They both just laughed on the side. 

"I hope I can also laugh like Ayoko", Kogure sighed. "Wha~ How I wish I could hear her laugh until Nationals is done", Miyagi felt like floating in the air. The game went and Shohoku is being pushed back by the opponent. As the game progress, they were able to find their groove and started closing the gap until getting ahead in score. The game was disrupted as Shohoku's ace was intentionally injured. 

Infirmary

Rukawa was brought to the center's infirmary due to bleeding. Amane assisted the nurse in cleaning the wound. "We can tell your team that you will retire this game. I cannot assure you that your eyes will be open for even two days", the nurse knew how difficult it would be to shoot the ball with just one eye open. Amane saw Rukawa clenching his fist but still remained silent, allowing the nurse to finally put his eye patch. 

The nurse left the two since there was another injury in the annex court. 

"Rukawa-kun", Amane held on the man's shoulder and felt it wasn't stiff. That means the player is still relax. "I cannot throw away this game", he said with a stern voice. "I understand that you wanted to bring your team to the next game. It's just that, it will not be the same. Shooting the ball to the basket with one eye open has less percentage of being successful", the lady gulped expecting a rally from the player. 

"My body remembers", he answered. Amane took time to process what he said. She flushed and turned to the other side. It wasn't the answer she was expecting. 

Sachi's weird stories might be getting into me. 

"Didn't you tell me that you're going to bring home all those trophies? I want to do the same thing. You're not the only one who wanted to go all out", Rukawa stood. Amane turned to his direction and was now few inches away from the lad. "You were listening back then? At your school's gym? That was so embarrassing", Amane covered her face with her palm. "I believe in your confidence, Rukawa-kun. I don't know why but when it is coming from you, I just can't help but to believe in it", the lady slowly removed her palm. Rukawa patted the lady's head. "We will win and so will you", he said before leaving the room. 

Amane sat on the infirmary bed with her face flushed. She lied down and looked at the ceiling. As calm as possible, even with her face beet red, she smiled and laughed to herself.  "Yoko, I think I now understand what you meant with butterflies in your stomach", Amane said under her breath. 

Audience's Bench

Amane sat next to Sachi and Yoko. "He's back at the game. Did you tell him not to play but he still insisted?", Sachi asked. Haruko looked at her with worry. "His bleeding stopped. If he bleeds, it will be evident in the eyepatch. Ayoko-san will be pulling him out off the game immediately", Amane informed. She was told about the Haruko's interest on Rukawa. The whole court had their eyes on number 11 who have the ball. He released the ball on his hand and it went into the basket. 

When was the last time I felt the excitement of being close to losing and the fulfillment of being able to win?

"You're kidding me", Mito gave a short laugh. The rest of the group were amazed out of their wits. "Did you see that?!", Sachi shook Amane who had a smile on her face. "You don't look too surprise", Yoko commented. "Rukawa-kun told me that they will be able to win the game. I just have to believe him", Amane chuckled. "Kyah! Rukawa-kun!", Haruko and the rest of Shohoku's cheerleader squealed. 

Mizutani Residence

"I'm home. I had some dinner with Yoko and Sachi. I already texted you but I received no reply", Amane entered the house and saw another pair of shoes. She peeked at the living room and saw a figure she was not ready to meet as of this time. "Amane! Rukawa is here. Want to show him your room?", Ryou asked. "What are you saying, brother?!", she rushed to the kitchen to cover his brother's mouth. 

Kitchen

"I tried to prepare some coffee but I can't seem to give proper amount for a high schooler. He might not be able to sleep. They still have a game tomorrow, right? Plus, they have to travel in Aichi",  Ryou hummed. "I'll do it so be a good doctor and examine your patient. Why didn't you just ask him to go to the clinic?", Amane sighed and started preparing Rukawa's coffee. Ryou exited the kitchen leaving Amane. She had always been good with foods. As soon as her parent's separated ways, she was left with ready made food since her mother was always busy. It was something she never complained of. Looking at the cup of coffee, she remembered preparing it for her mother. 

Living Room

"And Amane would clung to our mother so tight", Ryou showed photos to Rukawa. "Is that part of the consultation?", Amane gently dropped the tray on the center table. "That's what you call entertaining your patient", the doctor defended his action.  The lad took a sip on the drink and looked at the one who prepared it. "I thought I smelled coffee", he commented. "As what brother said, you will be traveling tomorrow. It's better not to stimulate your brain for tonight so that you can rest well", Amane explained. "You brewed it well, the tea", Rukawa said without looking at her. 

Ryou closed the photo book and stretched. "I am quite tired for today. I'll leave the two of you. Make sure to treat my patient well", the man pointed out and ran to his room with a smile on his face. 

"Everyone was astonished with how confident you still threw the ball with just one eye open", Amane echoed the reaction of the crowd. "I told you, my body remem-", Rukawa was cut off when Amane attempted to cover his mouth. It didn't reached him but was just few inches away. "You're capable, Mizutani. I find that astonishing", Rukawa borrowed the lady's term. "Where is this coming from? Is this exchange gift in the form of words", Amane pulled back and leaned on the couch. 

"I think you're getting there. You told me about the difficulty of doing what you once had done. Your body will remember it. You trained and so your arms and your legs knows how to coordinate. Just like how you brewed tea over and over again", Rukawa sipped through his drink. "Rukawa-kun's unbelievably talkative today. Thank you for saying that", Amane relaxed her stiff shoulder and gave a smile feeling warm on her eyes. 

Chapter end

Chapter end.